We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 17 Posts
    The flexibility of TVs and output filters made me very interested in placing my CSS in a Resource rather than as a regular .CSS-file.

Are there any drawbacks of doing so? Will it put additional strain on the server, increase loading times or similar?

Thanks,
    Nils
      • 380 Posts
      Why would you want to do this?

You can edit the .css file if it's an asset through the manager.
        • 17 Posts
        Mark, because, for instance:

div {
            background: url('[[*bg-img]]') no-repeat bottom;
        }

Or

div {
            background: [[*foot-grad-from]];
            background: -moz-linear-gradient([[*foot-grad-from]], [[*foot-grad-to]]);
            background: -o-linear-gradient([[*foot-grad-from]], [[*foot-grad-to]]);
            background: -webkit-gradient(linear, 0% 0%, 0% 100%, from([[*foot-grad-from]]), to([[*foot-grad-to]]));
            background: -webkit-linear-gradient([[*foot-grad-from]], [[*foot-grad-to]]);
        }

Or

body {
            font-size: [[*font-size]]
        }

h1 {
            font-size: [[*font-size:add=`3`]]
        }

Being able to create dynamic CSS like this would decrease development times and give more power to a client. [ed. note: nilskaspersson last edited this post 11 years, 11 months ago.]
          • 1,624 Posts
          Best solution IMHO is to setup a style.css file for the whole project and only add the configurable parts in the header of the template.

You can do it using APIs
            • 17 Posts
            cipa,

Why is that the best solution? Are there performance issues with having your entire CSS as a Resource?
              • 1,624 Posts
              It's more about the caching of the CSS by the browsers.

I think in Revo you can setup file headers for resources that will emulate a real file so browsers will cache the css file and not request it on a different page. I'm not sure what your setup is, but if your css changes from page to page than I will definitely have a generic style.css file(as file) and add the custom CSS in the header or as a modx resource

Does it make sense?
                • 17 Posts
                I don't necessarily want to change it per page - the primary reason would be to simplify the design process so that I can change similar CSS values by changing a TV rather than "search + replace".

Being able to change background images through TVs would be nice, though. So I take it your suggestion would be to leave most CSS in a regular document and include the styles I want to edit through TVs in my document headers? [ed. note: nilskaspersson last edited this post 11 years, 11 months ago.]
                  • 1,098 Posts
                  @nilskaspersson, you don't need to place the CSS inside a Resource to change background image in the website, or to change the font size, or anything else. Just add a class to your body. Example:

The CSS:
                  /* Change Background */
                  body.background1 { background: url(../img/bg1.jpg); }
                  body.background2 { background: url(../img/bg2.jpg); }
                  body.background3 { background: url(../img/bg3.jpg); }
                  body.background4 { background: url(../img/bg4.jpg); }

/* Change Font Size */
                  body.fontSize1 { font-size: 20px; }
                  body.fontSize2 { font-size: 30px; }

The HTML:
                  <body class="[*TvBackground*] [*TvFontSize*]">

The TV:

Now you can create a dropdown TV with the class you want to output, and use for example @INHERIT or getResourceField to extend that behaviour in the whole website.
                    • 1,624 Posts
                    Quote from: nilskaspersson at May 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
                    I don't necessarily want to change it per page - the primary reason would be to simplify the design process so that I can change similar CSS values by changing a TV rather than "search + replace".

If you want to do this easily I suggest using SASS/COMPASS or LESS. You can define CSS variables with them.