We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8 Posts
    I'm trying to decide between the modx tutorial on setting up a blog and using Articles. In both cases I've got everything working except comments and replies to comments, but with different issues in each. I'll just ask about the manual blog setup situation first.

So I've got a blog situation set up using this tutorial http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Creating+a+Blog+in+MODx+Revolution . When I created a comment and then reply to that comment using the simple template for QuipReply illustrated in the tutorial (just a call to [[!QuipReply]] and then to [[!Quip]]) I get all sorts of crazy in the output. I'm using my default template for the quip reply document, which is quite simple... just a header with menu, footer, and content in between. The content of the document is just those two calls to QuipReply and Quip that I just mentioned.

What I get, though, is triple the number of reply forms and triple the number of Quip outputs. I've played around with using each of these snippets separately, and they do the same thing on their own. The especially annoying part is not just that first element in the output html file is the quipreply form, followed again by the quipreply form, and then my header, nav bar, then again the quipreply form, and then the footer. So with some absolute positioning of my header going on, I end up with a big ol' reply form behind everthing else, and then a repeat, and then a decently formatted version of it down the page a ways.

I've been messing with this for days and I can't tell where exactly to go from here.

So, my page template looks like
    [[$bpSiteHeader]]
    [[$BSnavbar]]
    <div class="[[*alias]]-wrapper">
    [[*content]]
    </div>
    [[$siteFooter]]
    [[$bpSiteFooter]]

and my quipreply resource looks like

<h1>Reply to Comment</h1>
    [[!QuipReply]]
    <br>
    [[!Quip]]

And the other problem here is that if I try to preview the comment, it just re-displays the same post-a-comment page, still with the form data intact. There's no actual rendered preview.

BTW, all my blog code is for now exactly as in the tutorial except for the resource ids have been edited to match the resources in my install.

Any help on this or suggestions how I might troubleshoot are greatly appreciated.
      • 10 Posts
      I'm having a similar problem.
      Preview doesn't work -- just returns the same page.
      Post doesn't work -- just returns the same page.

I don't have the problem with duplicated comments, however.
      Displaying comments seems to work okay, it's just when I try to post/preview that it's broken.
        • 8 Posts
        I never did figure out what was going on, either with preview not working or with the comment reply form appearing three times.

I ended up just using Articles, which seems a bit nicer overall, though I'd still like to know either what was going on, or even better, how I can even troubleshoot what was going on without trying to learn how all the modx internals work.