We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 45 Posts
    Hi,

I've been using Webfaction for a while. They are brilliant. But focus on Python solutions like Django.

For some reason Revo (all versions I've tried over a year or so) doesn't work with the standard Static/PHP application setup in webfaction. [EDIT - only older PHP5.2 apps - see reply below]
    Main problem a while back was in the Package Manager. From my notes.
    When connecting to Package Retriever there is a "MODx received a blank response".

Webfaction suggested installing my own PHPStack. Sounds scary but they had a script. All worked perfectly after that.

BUT. I need to move servers and this from CENTOS5-32 bit to CENTOS6 - 64 bit.
    Results in epic problems with many of the manager and site calls to various index.php and connector.php resulting in 502 Bad Gateways.

I've also tried a fresh install on their latest Static/PHP4 setup. Install worked but Manager returns lots of 502s as before. [EDIT - actually this was another unrelated problem which I mistook for the same problem. Sigh!]

Webfaction reckon their new-ish build script is including some 32bit libraries but the guy who wrote the script has left the company.

Question: Does MODx do anything extreme regarding PHP setups? Is there a good reason why a very competent and professional hosting company wouldn't support PHP fully. Maybe xPDO or something is the cause? [EDIT - whatever problem they had is gone now with php5.4 app installed]

I'm not a computer scientist or linux expert.

Cheers
    Stuart

This question has been answered by parthian. See the first response.

[ed. note: parthian last edited this post 11 years, 11 months ago.]
    • discuss.answer
      • 45 Posts
      Good News

All fixed.

Great support as always at Webfaction. Eventually, we went back to basics and wondered why I needed my own PHP Stack. Turns out the old server had old PHP and settings for compatibility. The new Centos6-64 has PHP5.4. So my attempts to get a Stack running there were essentially irrelevant.

But just to add to the confusion when I tried a standard PHP App setup (5.4) there was an odd failure due to other Apps already set on that domain (for awstats etc). Hard to explain if you haven't experience of webfactions unique (and flexible) control panel. So this made it look like there was still a MODx problem on Webfaction. It was actually another unrelated issue to do with Document Root.

So, this solution was deployed - http://docs.webfaction.com/software/php.html#configuring-document-root

And all working now.

Looking for a great host? That is more or less a VPS - http://www.webfaction.com/