We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I was working in a site this morning and when I came back to work on it, I clicked on a Resource, all I see is the custom TV "banner". If I click on Elements > Templates > template name, the document area is blank. I can't go to System Settings or the Error Log.

Clear Cache did not work either. I am attaching a screenshot.

Has anyone experienced this? [ed. note: LeeB last edited this post 12 years ago.]
      Lee Brinckley
      Manassas, VA (Washington DC)
      Twitter - @leebrinckley
      http://www.leebrinckley.com
      • 620 Posts
      Sean Kimball Reply #2, 12 years ago
      you can try to edit the modx_systm_settings table directly, change compress_css & compress_js to 0 ~ dump the cache & see if that helps.
        *** Not just websites, we also create signage, banners, print, trade show displays and more! ***

Sean Kimball CLP, CLS.
        Technical Director / Sr. Developer | BigBlock Studios
        ._______________________________________________.
        Bigblock Studios http://www.bigblockstudios.ca Web site design & development.
        27-1300 King Street East. Box 167 Oshawa, Ontario L1H8J4 Canada.
        phone/fax: 905-426-5525
      • This is on a client's server, so I don't have access to the database. What if I emptied the Core > Cache directory? Thoughts?
          Lee Brinckley
          Twitter - @leebrinckley
        • I'd certainly give the core/cache clear out a go. Have you tried it yet? Any luck?
          • Hi Lee,
            Since I see you have a tree Created On resources, means and settings should work, then go to System Settings and set the key and compress_css compress_js to "NO".

If you still do not see the System Preferences to change your settings, do not necessarily have access to the database, the file system is enough to open the file core/cache/system_settings/config.cache.php and lines compress_css compress_js and set the parameter to "0" (zero .) Then go to the admin panel in System Preferences and set the key compress_css compress_js to "NO".

My opinion is that compression is not the problem ....
            Try to delete the contents of a folder on ftp core/cache
              Valentin Rasulov - Industrial design (Hobbies - Web Development)
              Development not standard projects on CMF MODx Revolution.
              Small sample of extensions
            • Mark Hamstra Reply #6, 12 years ago
              Doesn't look like a compress issue to me - if that would have been the case I don't think the TV would've been rendered pretty, and I don't think the tree is particularly useful when compression is throwing it off.

Can you check the error log (Reports > Error Log or the file in core/cache/logs/error.log if you can't see it in the manager), and also see if firebug / your browsers' dev tools report any javascript errors?
                Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
              • Hi Mark,

Firebug does not throw any errors. I am copying what the error log shows for 4/27:

[2012-04-27 12:23:22] (ERROR @ /home/novettac/public_html/core/model/phpthumb/phpthumb.class.php : 1312) PHP warning: getimagesize(/home/novettac/public_html/assets/images/banners/subHeader-bg_Products) [<a href='function.getimagesize'>function.getimagesize</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
                [2012-04-27 12:23:22] (ERROR @ /home/novettac/public_html/core/model/phpthumb/phpthumb.class.php : 1312) PHP warning: getimagesize(/home/novettac/public_html/assets/images/banners/subHeader-bg_Products) [<a href='function.getimagesize'>function.getimagesize</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
                [2012-04-27 12:23:22] (ERROR @ /home/novettac/public_html/core/model/phpthumb/phpthumb.class.php : 3210) PHP warning: file_get_contents(/home/novettac/public_html/assets/images/banners/subHeader-bg_Products) [<a href='function.file-get-contents'>function.file-get-contents</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
                [2012-04-27 12:23:22] (ERROR @ /connectors/system/phpthumb.php) phpThumb was unable to generate a thumbnail for: /home/novettac/public_html/core/cache/phpthumb/phpThumb_cache_www.novetta.com_src8fbc4889de35c48353c180e24db7ac23_paradf896d45f319fa323d889e84ccb98c5_dat0.jpeg
                [2012-04-27 12:23:22] (ERROR @ /connectors/system/phpthumb.php) Error outputting thumbnail:
                OutputThumbnail() failed because !is_resource($this->gdimg_output) in file "phpthumb.class.php" on line 557
                  Lee Brinckley
                  Twitter - @leebrinckley
                • BTW - I could not view the error log in the manager. I had to go to the directory.
                    Lee Brinckley
                    Twitter - @leebrinckley
                  • Artdevue -

I did the following and it worked. I can see everything in the manager again...until...I hit Site > Clear Cache and then the weirdness is back:

If you still do not see the System Preferences to change your settings, do not necessarily have access to the database, the file system is enough to open the file core/cache/system_settings/config.cache.php and lines compress_css compress_js and set the parameter to "0" (zero .) Then go to the admin panel in System Preferences and set the key compress_css compress_js to "NO".

If I set those parameters to zero again...it is works.
                      Lee Brinckley
                      Twitter - @leebrinckley
                    • The cache is only there until you clear it. As artdevue said, go to the system settings and disable it there to update the value in the database so it will survive clearing the cache.

Those errors aren't related to this as far as I can tell.

Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.