We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 126 Posts
    I am really stumped as to what is going on or what to try next

Running Revo 2.1.x on client's site and got email that a page was missing. When I go to check, the whole site is throwing a 503 error. I log in to the manager, and NONE of the resources are showing up. It is as if they didn't exist—the configuration checker is also giving the warning about the error page setting pointing to a non-existant page.

I updated the client to 2.2.1-pl hoping that would fix the problem. The setup got all the way through to the check screen... all green... but the next screen (which should be the success screen) was an empty block—like it didn't finish drawing the page. Tried a couple of times, re-uploaded the setup folder and tried again. Same problem.

At this point, the MySQL database password I requested from the client made it to me, so I logged into the database. Sure enough, it reported—and fixed—errors on the site_content table. At that point, I logged into the manager, and the whole tree showed up again, and the site showed up again on the front end.

I guess I should have left it there, but I figured that the installer didn't fully run, so I reran setup. Setup successfully ran completely, but, lo-and-behold, upon logging in, no more resource tree in the manager. The front end, at least, serves up the home page (but the Wayfinder menu is empty).

I'm not getting the config warning, I can access everything else, and I have already tried turning off the compression settings (a la other board posts). Modx seems to think there's nothing there... except that I can get to any page on the front end by typing the url directly (can't click, as Wayfinder isn't generating the menu).

2 or 3 times I have reuploaded every file and then rerun setup (which always finishes successfully). I have confirmed that all the data is still there in the database. I have run repair table on every table in the database. I have even done a sql dump of all the data, deleted all the tables and re-imported them back into the database. None of this has worked.

This is one of the weirdest things I think I have ever seen with MODX.

I would much appreciate anyone who can give some more ideas of what to try!

Thanks

This question has been answered by debussy. See the first response.

• 24,544 Posts
      It kind of sounds like an .htaccess problem, especially if you can see things in the Manager.

I'd try turning off FURLs and renaming .htaccess to something else to see if that makes things show up. If it does, the problem is very likely to be in the .htaccess file.

Also, make sure that you have this in the head section of all templates:

<base href="[[++site_url]]" />

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 126 Posts
        Actually, it's the opposite of what you are thinking... I can't see things in the manager (well, I can't see any resources). The friendly URLs are working. For instance, I can type in the friendly URL of a sub-page and it loads up just fine (except the Wayfinder-generated nav is empty).

One of the first things I tried was to delete and reinstall the .htaccess file as I've had problems with .htaccess conflicts before, but that wasn't it. <base> tag is in the head (this site has been running fine for over a year now).

Still stumped.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Sorry, I'm stumped too.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • discuss.answer
            • 126 Posts
            After all the above, I tried the following: Create a new database, import the records into it, and point modx to it. No fix. Download the latest nightly (2.2.2, 4-12-12), completely manually delete the cache, and install it. No fix.

HERE'S THE SOLUTION:

After all this, I had the genius idea (which I should have done to begin with) of looking at the error log. Which had a few entries like "Unknown column 'modResource.hide_children_in_tree' in 'field list'"... I already suspected this had something to do with an "off" entry in the database, so I pulled up the site_content table from a separate, working 2.2.1 install and compared it side-by-side with the broken one. Sure enough, the hide_children_in_tree and show_in_tree columns were missing. After I added them to the database manually, all began working as expected again.

This leaves me wondering why the setup/installer after many attempts at install/upgrade does not automatically create these columns if they are missing.

Hope this helps someone else who might run into something similar!

MAJOR LESSON:
            FIRST Troubleshooting Step: Check your log file! (core/cache/logs/error.log)