We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 178 Posts
    Hello,
    I currently have two types of users neither of which have access to the Modx Manager. One user group is able to gain access to restricted resources in the frontend and the other group is able to edit particular resources from the front-end using NewsPublisher

if a user loses or wishes to change their password, how do I give them access to just that field, and what link do I use so they can access it?

Thanks
      • 701 Posts
      Don't think you retrieve password only reset it. If using login on revo take a look here:

http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/Login.ResetPassword
        • 178 Posts
        Thanks bennyb,
        Yes - it does appear that the process only resets the password to an automatically generated one. I wish to give the user the option to put in their own password. is there any way this can be done?
          • 463 Posts
          We had a similar thing, but we allowed them to log in with the generated pass, once they had logged in, they had to go to their profile in order to change their pass.

Not sure if you can allow a user to create their own pass i.e a input new password link.
            • 178 Posts
            Thanks Tyreal2012,
            Using Login to access to their user profile from the frontend doesn't allow them to change their password to one they choose. It would appear that the only way to do this would be to give them access to their user profile in the backend - which I don't want to do.
            It is difficult enough for ordinary users to rermember one password without them having a different one for every site they visit ;-)
              • 463 Posts
              Ahh, I havent tested it but i would ahve thought you could update the password in the same way you update a profile field, I might test it if i get a spare few minutes later
                • 701 Posts
                Users can change their password from the frontend, use:
                http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/Login.ChangePassword

What you could do is in the reset password auto generated email, put a link to a page that contains the login snippet then then redirects after success to a page containing changepassword.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  You can definitely edit the user in the Manager, create a new password for them, then tell the user what it is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 178 Posts
                    Thanks bennyb and Tyreal2012,
                    With that information I am able to give users the option to change their password as well as provide a reset and redirect to the Update User Profile page.. I intend to add the ChangePassword script to the Update User Profile page so that users can access it easliy.
                    Thanks for the help - it is much appreciated [ed. note: bobd72 last edited this post 12 years ago.]
                      • 178 Posts
                      Oops - I posted before I saw your addition Bob.
                      Yes - that would be a solution but using the above means less work for me smiley

Thanks for the suggestion