We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 834 Posts
    I just want to export the content from Evo into Revo 2.2, I'm not worried aboutthe plugins, snippets etc just the actual content words and images.

Yes I've read the limited documentation, and Bob's Guides on this, but I think they are being too technical for what I'm trying to do.

Can I just export the data I want from Tools/Backup in Evo and import it into Revo via phpmyadmin? (After doublechecking and editing the tablenames)

Anyone actually done this and have a few pointers?

Thanks [ed. note: markg last edited this post 12 years ago.]
      Content Creator and Copywriter
      • 24,544 Posts
      The safest way is with Provisioner, but it takes a few extra steps because, AFAIK, Provisioner doesn't work with the current versions of either Evo or Revo. The table you want is modx_site_content.

I think this would be safe and foolproof:

Install temporary versions of Revo and Evo that work with Provisioner on localhost.
      Use PhpMyAdmin to Export from the old site and Import to the temp Evo site.
      Use Provisioner to move the stuff from the temp Evo sit to the temp Revo site.

Upgrade the temp Revo site to the current version of MODX.
      Use PhpMyAdmin to export from the temp site and import to the new Revo site.

If you want to live dangerously, the last time I checked, you could use PhpMyAdmin to export the modx_site_content table from an Evo site and then use it to import to a Revo site. There are some new fields in the table since I tried that, so it might not work. I would create a new document in the new Revo site and take a screen shot of the DB record in modx_site_content for that doc beforehand so you could check the "correct" values against the ones for the docs you import.

Let us know how it works. wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 834 Posts
        Thanks Bob for the detailed response.

My revo site is temp anyway, I'm just playing with it until I understand it, then I'll switch my live site over.

Re Provisioner, yes I;ve been trying that without much luck, but as you say it doesn't work with the latest versions of either, so that must be why.

I'll do it the way you say using earlier versions and see how that goes.

Content Creator and Copywriter