We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    Dear All,

I'm starting a new project on Modx Revo 2.2.1-pl and my customer and I are very concerned about security. I wanted to share my thoughts with the community.
    After looking a bit at all places and doing some research, here is what I came up with.

Manager : I added an .htaccess file at the manager root :
    <limit GET POST> 
    order deny,allow 
    deny from all
    allow from <customer office static IP>
    </limit>

Core : I know that the core directory should be moved away from the web root, but it's impossible in our case so I added the following .htaccess in the core directory :
    <limit GET POST> 
    order deny,allow 
    deny from all
    </limit>

In this case I'm wondering if it's as effective as removing it from the web root ?

Ajax Requests : In order to secure my ajax requests, I created a document as en entrypoint of all ajax requests.

This blank document calls a snippet that refers to a static file (the directory where is located the snippet's file is also protected with the same .htaccess used in the core/ directory).

I setup a plugin that will set the $_SESSION['Token'] var OnWebPageInit excluding my Ajax "entrypoint" document.

I test this var at each ajax request if it's set in my snippet. If it's not set it means that someone is trying to access the entrypoint directly (ie : no document was visited before) and I can easily forbid any code execution.

Thank you very much for your thoughts,
    [ed. note: 111Studio last edited this post 12 years ago.]