I implemented a first multilanguage website with babel, and it worked pretty well. Thanks to the babel-creator and all who contributed!
So I went on to implement a second multilanguage website with babel for which I enabled SEO friendly URLs according to http://www.multilingual-modx.com/blog/2011/seo-friendly-multilingual-websites-with-modx-and-babel.html
where the installation includes the definition of different contexts for different languages.
On this website I also installed FormIt, which I used in other projects as well. However I could not successfully submit forms; of course I could push the button but an empty page did return; no email was sent nor errors loged; form could not redirect or display a message message.
I tried turning off almost everything in the form like redirect, captcha, validation, reduction of number of fields, implementing the sample form from rtfm.modx.com without any luck. I installed BobRays QuickEmail and it worked, so it seems not to be an infrastructure problem.
So I started over again, fresh MODX 2.2.0-pl install, only one single Add-On FormIt, and that worked well. So it's not a MODX issue.
Again to better understand the possible cause I started over with a fresh MODX install, installed FormIt and Babel in two steps, while I stil could send forms. Then in order to have Babel work I enabled SEO friendly URLs and exactly then the form no longer worked. I could turn SEO friendly URLs off (always of course in backend and .htaccess) and the form worked again.
I tried to debug a little bit, and I made a strange observation: in one of the FormIt classes there is a hasSubmission method which did return false even when submitting a form (with Babel installed and SEO friendly URLs enabled) and additionally at that code location I could not inspect the $_POST parameters, they seemed, not surprisingly after the hasSubmission method's return value, to be empty.
I also tried BobRays SPForms in this install. Unfortunately these don't work either. Repeated the test with QuickEmail, it sends emails.
I have no idea if I observed a problem in Babel or if I just forgot some configuration step. That's why I would be very glad for any hint or help. Thank you.
Happy easter and best regards