We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 81 Posts
    I'm submitting this as a bug in the tracker, but would like to get some opinions about it in a venue more suitable for discussion...

There are several places in grid views in the MODx manager where, when right clicking on an item, the user is presented with the option to 'Update' an item. There are also many other places where a user can 'Edit' an item.

Update can present one of at least two possible resulting actions:
    -In System Settings, 'Update Setting' presents a pop-up UI panel to edit the *setting definition*. One must double click on the value to be edited to present the UI to edit the actual value.
    -In Manage Users, 'Update User' takes the user to a new page to edit the *values* for the user.

Edit actions seem consistent in that they allow to to modify the values for the selected item.

I submit that the meaning of 'Update' in unclear to describe its intended action. I think that the term 'Update' is commonly understood to mean 'Update the application's view to reflect the state of the model' that 'Allow me to Update the values for this item'. In this way, it's closer to 'Refresh' than it is to 'Edit'.

Wouldn't it make more sense to change all uses of 'Update' to 'Edit'? And if an 'Edit' action is going to edit something other than the item's values, perhaps that should be clarified as well, as in 'Edit Setting Definition'?

I discussed this with a few people who seem to agree with me and the distinction has confused some users, so I don't think I am totally off base here. But I'd like to see what others have to say [ed. note: MokoJumbie last edited this post 12 years, 1 month ago.]
      • 81 Posts
      To clarify, I think 'Update' seems ambiguous as it's possible to perform an update as well as receive an update. However, while one can perform an edit, it's less likely you'd expect to receive an edit in this context.
        • 24,544 Posts
        I have to admit that I was disturbed by seeing 'Update' when I wanted to edit something until I got used to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using . . . PLEASE!
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting