We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    Hi guys

Just wondering if it's possible. So I am trying to build my website with Modx and from my template, I created a html search form and customized the look with css. (please see my website: http://www.deutschadp.com/) My question is, is there a way of changing the look of a Simplesearch form so I can preserve the look of my current template?

I have tried to create css rules based on the form but so far they don't seem to be working

Thanks
      • 102 Posts
      Of course you can...It is MODX, after all;)

http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/SimpleSearch.SimpleSearchForm
        Antonio Zdilar
        linearvector.com
        • 4 Posts
        ok, I think I'm getting somewhere

here is my new code:

[[SimpleSearchForm? &tpl=`searchform` &landing=`10` &toPlaceholder=`searchform`]]
            <form id="searchform" action="[[~[[+landing:default=`[[*id]]`]]]]" method="[[+method:default=`get`]]">
                <fieldset>
                    <input name="s" type="text" onfocus="if(this.value=='Suche') this.value='';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search';" value="Suche" />
                    <button type="submit"></button>
                </fieldset>
            </form>

However, for some reason it's not displaying document 10 after I press search, which means no search result. Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks
          • 102 Posts
          Add this to your form:
          <input type="text" name="[[+searchIndex]]" id="[[+searchIndex]]" onfocus="if(this.value=='Suche') this.value='';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search';" value="Suche" />
          <input type="hidden" name="id" value="[[+landing:default=[[*id]]]]" />

You have everything here:
          http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/SimpleSearch.SimpleSearchForm.tpl [ed. note: blankcheck last edited this post 12 years, 2 months ago.]
            Antonio Zdilar
            linearvector.com
            • 4 Posts
            Just did, but as oppose to before, when the search term would display in the address bar, this time it doesn't do anything

[[SimpleSearchForm? &tpl=`searchform` &landing=`11` &toPlaceholder=`searchform`]]
                <form id="searchform" action="[[~[[+landing:default=`[[*id]]`]]]]" method="[[+method:default=`get`]]">
                    <fieldset>
                        <input type="text" name="[[+searchIndex]]" id="[[+searchIndex]]" onfocus="if(this.value=='Suche') this.value='';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search';" value="Suche" />
                    </fieldset>
                </form>

Also, I noticed that the SimpleSearch command seems to be incompatible with my css page.

http://www.deutschadp.com/?id=11

Not sure if it's related? my code for that page is very simple

[[!SimpleSearch? &searchIndex=`s`]
              • 102 Posts
              Form body must be in searchform chunk. So:

Create searchform chunk
              Place this in it:
              <fieldset>
              </fieldset>
              </form>

In your template (where you want form to show) put
               [[SimpleSearchForm? &tpl=`searchform` &landing=`11`]] 

In template where the results will be shown put
              [[!SimpleSearch]]
                Antonio Zdilar
                linearvector.com
                • 4 Posts
                Hey there, sorry to be a bother

So now the search function works, but the css styling stop working and the form reverted to the default Modx form.

please see: http://www.deutschadp.com/

Regards
                  • 102 Posts
                  //remove id from form tag
                  <form action="[[~[[+landing:default=`[[*id]]`]]]]" method="[[+method:default=`get`]]">
                  <fieldset>
                  //add classes to inputs and style it as you wish
                     <input type="text" class="myClass" name="[[+searchIndex]]" id="[[+searchIndex]]" onfocus="if(this.value=='Suche') this.value='';" onblur="if(this.value=='') this.value='Search';" value="Suche" />
                  </fieldset>
                  </form>

Antonio Zdilar
                    linearvector.com