We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 178 Posts
    Hello,
    I have installed ChurchEvents calendar, but it appears that the only way to add an event is from the frontend.
    Is this correct or am I missing something?
    If this is the case anyone who accesses the site can add an event unless I deactivate this in the system settings and reactivate it each time I wish to add an event - leaving it open to public additions during this time?
    Is there no way to add events from the Management interface?

Thanks
    • Did you ever find an answer to this? Am testing to see whether this add-on would be suitable for a town website I am working on. Looks really promising but I can't get my head around the actual administration of the calendar and how it can realistically be implemented/managed by the community.

Thanks!
        • 387 Posts
        whistlemaker Reply #3, 12 years ago
        Perhaps the frontend page only allows users that are logged in to add events. That would appear to be the case - see this page http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/ChurchEvents.Managing+events - at the bottom it says:
        Requesting an event

If you have the System Setting allowRequests, under churchevents namespace, set to Yes then users that are not logged in(guests) may submit requests. These requests are not published on the calendar until they get approved by an admin. An email will be send out once the event has been submitted. Requesting an event is the similar to adding an event except without the admin options. See Adding an Event for further instructions.

So make sure you are logged out of the manager and then check if you can add events.

Edit: I probably should have noted that I have not used this extra - though I have looked at it, I used something else at the time - hence my post begins: 'Perhaps... ' [ed. note: whistlemaker last edited this post 12 years ago.]
          • 33 Posts
          ridgeofdemolition Reply #4, 12 years ago
          Whistlemaker, What did you use, just out of interest (and the need to find reliable, easy-to-use calendar for client)?
          • I've played around with ChurchEventCalendar a bit more and quite like its functionality. The ability to allow others to submit events through the front end could be very useful. But yes, it can be switched off to be only accessible by logged-in users. The only thing I'm missing is that the Public Description field is not rich-text - that would be my last missing link ...

I also like mxCalendar and here I get some moe options to customise the styling of the description. But event entry can only happen through the back-end.

I'd also be interested to hear what solutions others chose.
              • 178 Posts
              I've been looking at this on and off for a while but have yet to come to terms with it. There is very little documentation which is a bit frustrating.
              One of my problems it that I have hundreds of events to show over a year. Adding them from the front-end interface would take and extraordinary amount of time with so many fields to fill out for each event - just not practical.
              Unless I am missing something there is no alternative way of adding events - in the back-end for instance.
              A lot of work has gone into its creation but unless I can find another way of entering events in bulk it is useless to me :-(

Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction or recommend an alternative
              • Would this add-on be of use to you?? http://modx.com/extras/package/gcalevents

It says that you can import Google Calendar events into MODX and I know that you can import events via CSV file into Google Calendar: http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=37118

Have never used either but perhaps it's of use to you?
                  • 178 Posts
                  Thanks for that - I'll have a look
                    • 387 Posts
                    whistlemaker Reply #9, 12 years ago
                    Whistlemaker, What did you use, just out of interest (and the need to find reliable, easy-to-use calendar for client)?
                    Well I did not really use anything!
                    I have so far just edited a resource with new text etc. But this is getting old fast and I reinvestigating this soon. If I find anything useful I'll post again.

If I don't find something to fit my needs I will probably roll my own - but in python using Pyramid or Flask as a framework to get 'my feet wet' !