We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 81 Posts
    I'm so glad MODx has added Static Resources with Revo 2.2. Now, before I dive into implementing them, I have some questions, some rhetorical, but really just to spark some discussion on this important development and the impact it will have on your MODx workflow...

What considerations need to be made when choosing a location/name for your static resources?

I imagine that, for security purposes, it would be a better idea to store snippets/plugins somewhere within 'core' and/or have them return immediately if the modx object is not found. But I'd like to know what approaches people are taking with other elements.

• Should you be concerned about people seeing the contents of your chunks/templates?
    • Are you relying on permissions or custom server configuration to ensure that the static elements are not publicly accessible?
    • What other concerns, regarding security or otherwise, have led to the approach you are taking with your static element strategy?

Have you considered how availability to the static elements via the file system may undermine MODx ACL security policies, enabling less-privileged FTP access to the files concerned? What precautions have you taken to ensure this isn't an issue?

When should/shouldn't they be used?

For example, I can't figure out a scenario when it would be useful to use a static element for a TV, more specifically, an image TV. I could see how it might be useful as a source for the input option values or default value of a TV, but it doesn't work that way. Why is the 'Is Static' option available for these odd cases?

What interesting uses have you come up with for static elements? How have they changed they way you work with MODx?
    • I have no real answers for your questions, but have you seen the "Hardening MODX" information?

http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Hardening+MODX+Revolution

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster