We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 18 Posts
    Hi,

new to MODX and trying to set up friendly URLs for a site. I'm using Bob Ray's excellent book and following the instructions set out to do that, but for some reason the 'Use Friendly Alises' setting appears to be missing - by which I mean it's not set to either 'Yes' or 'No', it just simply isn't there in the system settings list...

I was wondering if it was an install problem but everything else seems to be working ok and I don't really wan't to reinstall if there's a simple solution.. I may be missing something really obvious here so would appreciate some help from more seasoned MODX users.. (I've searched the forums but haven't been able to find anything resembling my issue..)

Thanks in advance..

superchilled

This question has been answered by opengeek. See the first response.

• 236 Posts
      That's strange, what version of MODX are you on?

I'm on Revo 2.2.0-pl2. I'll just provide this info so you can compare: In system settings under Friendly URL I have 16 settings listed and 'Use Friendly Alias Path' is the last one at the bottom.

Quite unusual, could it have been accidentally deleted?
        • 18 Posts
        Hi bobwal,

thanks for the reply. I also have 16 settings listed under the 'Friendly URL Filter' and 'Use Friendly Alias Path' is the last one. The setting that I am missing is 'Use Friendly Aliases'. In the Bob Ray book it says that you need to switch 3 settings to 'Yes':

- Use Friendly URLs
        - Use Friendly Alias Path
        - Use Friendly Aliases

The first two are there but the third isn't. Since you don't have it either I'm thinking it may be a change to Revo since the book was published.. so it may be something else causing FURLs not to work.. hmm..

Out of interest have you got FURLs working?

Edit: Just seen in the official online docs that there should be 17 settings (see the screenshot here: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Using+Friendly+URLs ) and one of the clearly is 'Use friendly Aliases'. So it would seem it is missing.

Strange though that we both have a missing settingin this set. If it was an install problem I would expect it to be more random then that... weird..

Edit #2: Have tried creating a new setting based on the settings from here http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/friendly_alias_urls

used -

Name: Use Friendly Aliases
        Key: friendly_alias_urls
        Field Type: Yes/No
        Value: Yes

but this still does not work.. [ed. note: superchilled last edited this post 12 years, 3 months ago.]
        • discuss.answer
          That particular setting is no longer used and has not been since the 2.1 release. If you enable friendly_urls, you are using friendly_alias_urls in MODX 2.1+. I'll get the documentation updated appropriately.
            • 18 Posts
            Thanks opengeek, that solves one mystery..

hmm.. OK so my FURL problems lie elsewhere then.. back to the drawing board I think..
            • I'm still waiting for my copy of Bob's book to ship (getting antsy!), but this gets me to wondering if it might be helpful if we could keep track of these inconsistencies as MODX is further developed. A sort of "Addenda" system where those who own the book can reference updated documentation as it relates to the book itself. If there was an ongoing reference to page numbers and topics that pointed to updated docs and/or forum topics, those of us who take notice could contribute and maintain it.

??
                Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
                "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
                • 18 Posts
                Frogabog, I don't think we need a specific addendum for the book as long as the online documentation is kept up to date.

In trying to resolve this issue I posted on here then checked the online docs (in hindsight I should have done it the other way around). If the docs had been up to date that would have resolved my issue straight away... Since they weren't it took opengeek's comment for me to know that the setting had been deprecated..
                • Unfortunately, at the moment the documentation is not as up to date as it should be, but out of fairness to everyone who has given their time to MODX... well they do need to sleep and eat occasionally. So while someday in the future documentation might be spot on in a timely manner, we don't have that luxury right now and I for one will practice patience. I still have so much to learn about MODX and I can hardly wait to get my hands on something I can flip through physically when I need help.

With the upgrade to 2.2.x, and specifically... Media Sources, enough has changed to effectively alter much about how I use MODX. I am concerned that as it's further developed, the physical contents of the book could be considered outdated, which could impact it's perceived relevance to new users. That shouldn't happen, the book is still very new and should be usable as is for a very long time. A list of quick references to updated docs in relation to the book might help maintain it's longevity so Bob doesn't have to do all the work to re-write and publish a new version any time soon.

I don't have quite the resources to purchase goodies like this, but as soon as I could justify it, I purchased the book. Partially in support of all the hard work and support I've received, but also because I know how helpful it will be. I would very much like to have a reference for when and if the information within the physical book is not entirely correct.

And that's just my .02 :~}

Oh, btw... Did you get FURL's working? If not, try setting the .htaccess to point to the directory that you have MODX installed on.

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
                    "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                    Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
                    • 18 Posts
                    Frogabog, yeah, I can see where you're coming from there and that does kind of make sense.

Haven't got FURLs working yet - I reckon it's a problem with mod-rewrite in Apache rather than MODX though (I'm running a local install while I learn the ropes..). tried a few things to resolve it (.htaccess and httpd.conf) but no joy as yet. Not a major deal at the moment so will leave it and come back to it when I have more time - there's so much more interesting MODX stuff to be doing after all!

Good luck with your MODX journey and have fun!

superchilled
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Quote from: frogabog at Jan 24, 2012, 05:30 PM
                      I'm still waiting for my copy of Bob's book to ship (getting antsy!), but this gets me to wondering if it might be helpful if we could keep track of these inconsistencies as MODX is further developed. A sort of "Addenda" system where those who own the book can reference updated documentation as it relates to the book itself. If there was an ongoing reference to page numbers and topics that pointed to updated docs and/or forum topics, those of us who take notice could contribute and maintain it.

I'm on it (sort of), I just haven't had time to get it finished. I do have a list of things that need noting in the book, many contributed by readers.

Right now, I'm waiting to recover from food poisoning (I may never eat hot dogs again). wink

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using . . . PLEASE!
                      MODx info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/MODx.html
                        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting