We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • @dantarifa -- it's not hard to list the pages, it's only hard to do it with Ext JS, but that's one way to ensure uniform styling and get the benefit of paginated results. What you described re having lots of resources *is* the "tree problem": a tree is awesome for displaying *limited* hierarchical data. It fails when you have a large data set.
      • 50 Posts
      Quote from: Everettg_99 at Jul 02, 2013, 05:00 PM
      @dantarifa -- it's not hard to list the pages, it's only hard to do it with Ext JS, but that's one way to ensure uniform styling and get the benefit of paginated results. What you described re having lots of resources *is* the "tree problem": a tree is awesome for displaying *limited* hierarchical data. It fails when you have a large data set.

Indeed it does fail for this, however the tree structure is great in most situations and that's why I think a decent dashboard widget would be a great compliment for sites where content is added very frequently. Ideally it could have filters like:
      Resources created by: me/all users
      Order by: created/published/edited
      etc

With that combined with my "Create blog article" button then blog editors could skip the resource tree almost entirely. Ah well, it's nice to dream smiley
      • VersionX ships with a dashboard widget that pretty much does that. http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/VersionX#VersionX-DashboardWidgets%28forMODX2.2%29
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
          • 50 Posts
          That looks awesome Mark, I'm going to try it out. Thanks!
            • 5,888 Posts
            Do you have some demo/tutorial about this somewhere?

build your extJS - manager-pages in an easy way and add filters as you like.

http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/MIGXdb.Manage+Events-Resources+in+a+CMP+with+help+of+MIGXdb
            http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/MIGXdb.Manage+Child-Resources+in+a+grid-TV+with+help+of+MIGXdb
              -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
              • 50 Posts
              Thanks for the links Bruno. Very good, detailed instructions.
                • 147 Posts
                Quote from: dantarifa at Jul 02, 2013, 04:10 PM
                ... my intention is that the blog editors really don't need to use the resource tree at all. They log in and on the dashboard all they see is a "Create blog post" button (this I added already) and a list of all the recently edited resources ... The reason I want to do this in the first place is because of the inability to change the order of resources in the resource tree.

dantarifa, my guess is that you're doing exactly the right thing by your users. There are users who badly need this simplicity. Can you post some screenshots when you have things the way you want them?
                  David Walker
                  Principal, Shorewalker DMS
                  Phone: 03 8899 7790
                  Mobile: 0407 133 020
                  • 50 Posts
                  Hi David,
                  I have this working how I want it now. I changed the default dashboard for my "Blog editors" user group. Their dashboard has 3 widgets:

1. Buttons to create a blog post or add a new call to action. This part was incredibly simple, here is the code I used just to give you an idea:
                  <style>
                  .x-btn {
                  color: #222;
                  padding: 7px 14px;
                  margin-right: 20px;
                  }
                  p {
                  padding:20px 0 20px 10px;
                  }
                  </style>
                  <p>
                  <a href="?a=55&parent=2&template=1" title="New blog post" class="x-btn">New blog post</a>
                  <a href="?a=55&parent=15&template=8" title="New CTA" class="x-btn">New CTA - sidebar</a>
                  <a href="?a=55&parent=18&template=8" title="New CTA" class="x-btn">New CTA - main</a>
                  </p>

.x-btn is a class already used by buttons in the modx manager so they fit in nicely although I am considering making them stand out more.

2. The second widget comes from VersionX (see comment above from Mark Hamstra), initially I only really wanted VersionX for the dashboard widget but I think actually it's going to be really useful and I have set it to version the resources. This is a busy blog where users will collaborate on the same articles so seeing each others changes will be cool.

3. The last widget is the standard one.

Screenshot attached