We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 136 Posts
    Evolution Version: 1.0.5
    TinyMCE Version: 3.3.9.2

No image thumbnails are displayed in the Browse popup when editing a page. Except if I create a new folder, and then upload an image inside of it (using the browse area upload/create folder buttons). If I upload an image into the base assets/images folder, the upload works fine. The image shows up in FTP/Cpanel (and even if I got to Elements > Manage Files), just not in the browse window, so I'm unable to select it to add to the page.

I've double checked all of the paths, and they appear to be correct. Folder permissions are 755 and file permissions are 644, which I believe are also correct.

I also cleared the Modx cache and my browser caches, but that didn't help. I've also deleted all of the .thumb files in the assets/images folder, but they were not regenerated and that didn't solve the issue.

I have done a couple repair installs as well (mostly to fix other issues), but the problem with the editor browser still persists.

Finally, I tried updating to the most recent version of TinyMCE, but that made it so I could not create a new folder, and made the image uploads not go through at all. So for now I'm sticking with the version the repair install seems to have put in.

I'm open to any suggestions to get this fixed. If any clarification is needed, please let me know.
      • 1,098 Posts
      If you have a MODX website in the same server with a working version of TinyMCE you may try to copy/paste that version and also the "websitename\manager\media\browser" folder.
        • 136 Posts
        I'm having the person I'm helping check on that now.

If there are not any other Modx websites on the server, could I install a completely fresh copy of Evolution on another server and get the files that way? With possibly needing to change paths?

I appreciate your help.
          • 1,098 Posts
          Quote from: firebot6 at Jan 20, 2012, 09:10 PM

If there are not any other Modx websites on the server, could I install a completely fresh copy of Evolution on another server and get the files that way?

Yes, you can also install a MODX Evo in localhost, check if TinyMCE works fine and then upload it in your server. Remember to disable the old version of TinyMCE plugin and rename the folder if it has the same name.

If you are unable to make it work, you may try to install CKEditor.
            • 136 Posts
            Just to make sure I'm doing this right, I need to replace these folders with the working version:

assets/plugins/tinymce
            manager/media/browser

I also tried CKEditor and FCKEditor with no luck, though I'll make sure I was doing the TinyMCE replacement correctly before I say if that worked or not.

In addition, I noticed when I went to the image browser, it says FCKEditor in the browser title bar. I assume that's supposed to be there because it was on the fresh install as well. And that's partly why I tried FCKEditor, I had hoped it might clear up any issues with the browser. Are there any other plugins or files besides in manager/media/browser that are associated with that?

I'm thinking it might be more worth it at this point to just do another clean install for the website and move files in slowly again, I was just hoping to avoid it.
            • The fckeditor's file browser is being used; it is actually a separate application from the editor and can be used with other editors (such as TinyMCE) or even stand-alone.

Check your paths in the Interface and Features tab; it should just be assets/. The image browser handles the /images/ part itself. Also check the settings for the individual users, as sometimes these can be set to something besides using the system defaults.
                Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                • 136 Posts
                Are there different "versions" of the browser that would cause issues if either it or TinyMCE were two old/new for one another? I feel like that could be the issue at this point. I noticed the TinyMCE versions I've been working with between the working and non-working website are different.

So for now I'm going to try to get them all on the same version.
                  • 136 Posts
                  Alright, so I have the most recent version of TinyMCE (3.3.9.2) on the site with the issue (finally!) and it's behaving like in my initial post, which is progress because the recent version didn't use to work at all.

I tried taking the manager/media/browser folder from a working Modx installation, with all the same versions, and put it in place of the folder on the non-functioning site. Which didn't seem to make a difference.

Sorry if I'm being redundant, I just wanted to give a solid update with where I'm at. I'm not quite sure how all this works together, but it still seems to be something with just the browser related files. Even when they come from a working site.
                    • 1,098 Posts
                    You're saying that only few images are not showing up. I agree that it must be something related with the Image Browser and now with TinyMCE.

Do you have images (and also the folders) with special characters or spaces in the filename? I remember that sometimes I couldn't see some images for this reason.
                      • 697 Posts

No image thumbnails are displayed in the Browse popup when editing a page. Except if I create a new folder, and then upload an image inside of it

Hi, this thread is very old, but the above quote make me think that firebot6 could have migrated an existing site, including the images, but not the thumbnails created on some development site ; those files with "tn" in their name. For the reason that the browser seems working correctly, but not finding old thumbnails.
                      FCK editor does not generate new thumbnails if they're missing.

Uploading the old thumbnails (or creating them to be uploaded) should solve the problem.
                      See http://forums.modx.com/thread/46348/image-thumbnails-are-not-displaying-in-fckeditor?page=3#dis-post-527086