We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,161 Posts
    I have Articles working just fine in a MAMP test site, but the Search function in the template that installs with the snippet does not work? I think there needs to be a landing page? I get a "The requested URL /siteName/search-results.html was not found on this server" message.

Usually with search snippets you need a landing page that is connected to the search form?

The code in the ArticlesContainerTemplate looks like this:
    <div id="search">
    <form id="quick-search" action="search-results.html" method="get">
    <p>
    <label for="qsearch">Search:</label>
    <input class="tbox" id="qsearch" type="text" name="search" value="" title="Start typing and hit ENTER" />
    <input class="btn" alt="Search" type="image" title="Search" src="[[++articles.assets_url:default=`assets/components/articles/`]]themes/default/images/search.gif" />
    </p>
    </form>
    </div><!-- search ends -->

I tried adding a search-results page but I still get the error. Is FURL part of this somehow?

Thanks!

[ed. note: Photowebmax last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
      • 1,161 Posts
      Also: clicking on any of the Tag links or Archives link just takes me to the site Home page?

Do you need to download extra snippets for the tagging and Archives function within the Articles system or do you need to create specific chunks to make it all happen? The only guidance on this I have found is this: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/Articles.Creating+a+Blog and its not clear what steps you need to follow to get this all working. I really like the rest of Articles though... [ed. note: Photowebmax last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
        • 4,149 Posts
        Search isn't actually "enabled" in Articles - the Template has the HTML there, but expects you to hook it into the search Extra you decide to use. I'll probably remove the search markup in the next version.

As for tagging, that should work out of the box, as long as you have FURLs enabled for your site. Can you give more info?
          shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
          • 1,161 Posts
          Thanks Shaun.

1) Which Search tool would work best within the Articles format?

2) As to the tagging and archives: I have not activated FURLs yet. I usually don't with local installs. I will try doing so later today and see if that sparks tagging and archive into action.

Overall I really like the system. There are a lot of options to consider but the thing I love is that you can install it and in very short order have all the moving pieces of a fully active blog system working, complete with comment avatars and social media goodness. This is a far cry from all the work I did chasing down all the snippet calls and investigation required to get a blog working with Evo...
            • 1,161 Posts
            My default ht.access file is in the right location in the MODx install (folder). When I try to change the file to .htaccess I get a system message :
            You can’t use a name that begins with a dot “.”, because these names are reserved for the system. Please choose another name.

I also turned on FURLs in the system settings but none of the pages will show when links are clicked. All of this is on my Mac with the MODx install running on MAMP. Just trying to see if I can get the tagging and archive features working within the Articles system.
              • 17 Posts
              I had a similar issue where my tag and archive links were not working, but it got solved when i enabled friendly URLs in system settings:
              * Use friendly URLs = Yes
              and renamed the ht.access file to .htaccess and made sure that in .htaccess file i updated: RewriteBase /YourFolderName/ , where YourFolderName = the name of folder in which you installed MODX, this folder name only needed to be updated if you did not install MODX in your site root, but a sub-folder. Sorry, not sure why you cannot re-name your ht.access file.
                • 47 Posts
                Quote from: Photowebmax at Jan 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
                My default ht.access file is in the right location in the MODx install (folder). When I try to change the file to .htaccess I get a system message :
                You can’t use a name that begins with a dot “.”, because these names are reserved for the system. Please choose another name.

I also turned on FURLs in the system settings but none of the pages will show when links are clicked. All of this is on my Mac with the MODx install running on MAMP. Just trying to see if I can get the tagging and archive features working within the Articles system.

not a mac user, but a five minute google gave me this: http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/a/15634
                  • 22 Posts
                  I am having a similar issue. I want to get an archive working but when I turn on FURL's the links to the articules from container page stopped working. With FURL's off they work but the archive does not.

The post_tlp chunk is:
                  <div class="post">
                    <h2><a href="[[~[[+id]]]]">[[+pagetitle]]</a></h2>
                      <p class="post-info padtext">
                        <span class="links">
                          <span>Posted on [[+publishedon:strtotime:date=`%b %d, %Y`]] by <span>[[+tv.by_author]]</span>
                  	</span>  
                       </p>
                        <div class="entry padtext">
                  	    <p>[[+introtext:default=`[[+content:ellipsis=`400`]]`]] <span class="links"><a href="[[~[[+id]]]]" class="readmore">[[%articles.read_more]]</a> </span></p>
                      </div>
                        <div class="padtext">[[$share]]</div>
                  </div>

I suspect it is an issue with my .htaccess file? which looks like:

# Friendly URLs Part
                  RewriteEngine On
                  RewriteBase /
                  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} .
                  # Force all pages to go to www.mar-com.net for SEO
                  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.mar-com\.net [NC]
                  RewriteRule (.*) http://www.mar-com.net/$1 [R=301,L]
                  # Friendly URLs
                  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
                  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
                  RewriteRule ^(.*)/blog/$index.php?q=$2 [L,QSA]
                  # Additional Settings Follow
                  ExpiresActive On
                  ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
                  ExpiresByType image/jpeg A2592000
                  ExpiresByType image/png A2592000
                  BrowserMatch "MSIE" brokenvary=1
                  BrowserMatch "Mozilla/4.[0-9]{2}" brokenvary=1
                  BrowserMatch "Opera" !brokenvary
                  SetEnvIf brokenvary 1 force-no-vary

# The following directives stop screen flicker in IE on CSS rollovers. If
                  # needed, un-comment the following rules. When they're in place, you may have
                  # to do a force-refresh in order to see changes in your designs.

#ExpiresActive On
                  #ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
                  #ExpiresByType image/jpeg A2592000
                  #ExpiresByType image/png A2592000
                  #BrowserMatch "MSIE" brokenvary=1
                  #BrowserMatch "Mozilla/4.[0-9]{2}" brokenvary=1
                  #BrowserMatch "Opera" !brokenvary
                  #SetEnvIf brokenvary 1 force-no-vary

Any help would be great!