We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 18 Posts
    Everything in my install (MODX Revolution 2.2.0-pl2 (traditional)) is working except for "System Info" under "Reports" every time I try that page I get a 500 Error in the browser and this in the log file of my server:

[07-Jan-2012 21:19:31] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 12845056) (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) in /home/mysite/public_html/core/model/smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 791

PHP 5.3.8
    Suhosin Extension 0.9.32.1
    Apache 2.2.3
    MySQL 5.1.56

phpinfo() - memory_limit 512M
    Shared Hosting environment on cpanel/whm

I've removed/re-uploaded/re-installed modx clean a few times and each time it has the same problem.

It's not that important to have that one page work, but I wouldn't want to run into memory limits elsewhere if there is an underlying problem on my setup.

My server tech can't figure out why it would be hitting memory limits when there is 512mb available to php scripts.

Any ideas?
      -Jeremy
    • Have you reviewed this page?
      http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/MODX+and+Suhosin

And this bug seems like it might be related:
      http://bugs.modx.com/issues/5888
        • 18 Posts
        I had not seen that, thanks, but mine is already set to 4096 as the fix suggests:

suhosin.get.max_value_length = 4096

and I do not get any warning about the length during setup on this server.

The provider is also running modsec on the server but my account has been white-listed from any modsec rules as it causes too many problems with modx.
          -Jeremy
          • 18 Posts
          I've also tried turning off compress_css and compress_js and clearing the cache but it still does not work.
            -Jeremy
            • 24,544 Posts
            It's possible that one or more files got corrupted in transfer, especially if you used FTP.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • According to the error message, only 12Mb is allocated for that request?
                • 18 Posts
                Quote from: BobRay at Jan 08, 2012, 07:46 AM
                It's possible that one or more files got corrupted in transfer, especially if you used FTP.

I ftp the zip file and then decompress through the cpanel file manager.
                  -Jeremy
                  • 18 Posts
                  Quote from: opengeek at Jan 09, 2012, 05:38 AM
                  According to the error message, only 12Mb is allocated for that request?

The server tech tried setting the PHP memory_limit and suhosin.memory_limit to various amounts and the error is always the same at the same location (until he sets it so low that other parts fail).

He said suhosin on the server is only running in simulation mode which means it won't enforce it's rules -- just logs violations.

I installed 2.1.3-pl and it has the same issue, but when I install 2.0.4-pl2 that page in the manager works.

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know, I'll be glad to try them out.
                    -Jeremy
                  • Hello,

Who is your hosting provider and how is the server configured to use php, it could be your memory increase isn't properly flowing throughout all directories.
                      Patrick | Server Wrangler
                      About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                      • 18 Posts
                      I did some more version testing up to 2.0.4-pl2 the "System Info" page works, but stops working with version 2.0.5-pl and anything after, just throws out the "PHP Fatal error: Out of memory".

I compared both versions of manager/controllers/default/system/info.php but they are exactly the same code, with modx 2.0.3 having the last changes to system info according to the changelog.txt in 2.0.5

Given that smarty is mentioned in the php error, and smarty was upgraded between these two versions (smarty 2.6.19 -> 3.0.4), I'm thinking that may be the cause of the problem.

But that's just a guess... [ed. note: fosterscape last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
                        -Jeremy