We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 181 Posts
    Hello,

since Articles has been announced as an important Extra in http://forums.modx.com/thread/72975/modx-revolution-2-2-refines-the-manager-adds-media-sources-and-much-more, I started translating it to German. At the moment I have two (well, one and a half wink) little problems:

$_lang['articles.import_modx_commentsThreadNameFormat_desc'] = 'The name format (such as "blog-post-[[*id]]") that you set for the thread property for Quip. Use [[*id]] to replace with the imported Resource\'s ID. Leave blank to not import comments.';

Well, the description of the thread property in Quip is
    The unique name of the thread
    Why do you refer to it as a name format? Am I even able to place an ID in the thread name in Quip?

$_lang['articles.import_modx_tagsField_desc'] = 'The field (or TV) that your old blog set tags on. Prefix with "tv." to specify a TV (eg, "tv.tags").';

I guess this means "The field (or TV) your old blog saved tags in"?

It would be nice if you could clarify this.

Thanks in advance! smiley

Cheers,
    Jan
      This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for higher security.
      • 181 Posts
      Just one more question:

$_lang['articles.setting.archiveByMonth_desc'] = 'Whether or not to archive by month or by year. Yes will archive by month.';

The phrase "Whether or not to archive by month or by year" I'd normally understand as "either archive by month or by year or do not archive by month or by year". I guess in this case it's "If set to 'Yes', archive by month, if set to 'No', archive by year"? If that's correct, maybe you'd like to get rid of the "or not".

Cheers,
      Jan
        • 4,149 Posts
        Yes, that could be worded better. Thanks!
          shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
          • 181 Posts
          Okay, I guess that means that my interpretation of the last phrase I quoted is correct. wink Could you give me some hints how to translate the phrases I mentioned in my first posting?

Here's another one:

$_lang['articles.setting.notifyTwitterTpl_desc'] = 'The template that the message to Twitter will be sent as.';

The message to Twitter will be sent as a template? wink In fact, I can't even figure out what should be entered into this field. What can I use there? Or does this refer to a MODX template? But then it should be possible to choose it from a list... Or is this some Twitter feature? I don't have a Twitter account, and I don't want one...

As you probably know, I completely translated MODX Revolution as well as some Extras, but I find Articles to be extraordinarily difficult to translate - not only because there are some obvious mistakes (in the description of the Twitter Consumer Key you suddenly mention the Consumer Secret, one of your "Twitter Templates" should be the "Twitter Tag Limit" etc.). Especially the Twitter notification phrases are somewhat woolly:

$_lang['articles.setting.notifyTwitterConsumerKey'] = 'Twitter Consumer Key';
          $_lang['articles.setting.notifyTwitterConsumerKey_desc'] = 'Optional. The Consumer Key for your Twitter account that maps to the Twitter app used for authentication. If not set, will use the MODX-Articles default. Override with your own Twitter App Consumer Key Secret for more security.';
          $_lang['articles.setting.notifyTwitterConsumerKeySecret'] = 'Secret Twitter Consumer Key';
          $_lang['articles.setting.notifyTwitterConsumerKeySecret_desc'] = 'Optional. The Secret Access Token for your Twitter that maps to the Twitter app used for authentication. If not set, will use the MODX-Articles default. Override with your own Twitter App Consumer Key Secret for more security.';

Well, in Twitter's OAuth vocabulary (a friend let me take a look at his account), there's a Consumer Key, a Consumer Secret, an Access Token and an Access Token Secret. To call the Consumer Secret a Secret Consumer Key, a Consumer Key Secret and a Secret Access Token in the phrases for a single field is more than confusing - and the official name is even missing completely.

This may sound like a rant - please be assured that it's not. I absolutely love MODX Revolution and the Extras the core team (and some other people) created, and I admire the persons that belong to the "inner circle" for their genius and their unbelievable productivity. But since I'm neither a native English speaker nor an experienced professional translator (and since I'm nevertheless trying to do a good job), it often takes a lot of time to translate the language files. It would be much easier if those who write the English texts could try to formulate a little bit more precisely and more clearly, taking into account that some people will have to translate them - even if they needed to write down some more words then. wink

Thanks for "listening" to me! smiley

Cheers,
          Jan
            • 4,149 Posts
            Quote from: enigmatic_user at Jan 09, 2012, 07:39 PM
            $_lang['articles.setting.notifyTwitterTpl_desc'] = 'The template that the message to Twitter will be sent as.';

The message to Twitter will be sent as a template?
            That's the template (not MODX template) you use when preparing your Tweets that send out if you decide to tweet out when an Article is published. It's an optional setting. I agree, it should have an example there to clarify.

On the Twitter keys, it seems there's a couple typos in the descriptions. I'll fix them for the next release.

It would be much easier if those who write the English texts could try to formulate a little bit more precisely and more clearly, taking into account that some people will have to translate them - even if they needed to write down some more words then. wink

Sure, I agree that sometimes things aren't best - and those translations could definitely use some work. But that's why we're open source and we foster community - to have feedback that improves the product. Things will not be perfect the first time around. I built Articles alone - and with all the other Extras I have, plus the core Revolution code, that means I'm managing millions of lines of code. I'm bound to have errors and mistakes in them; which is why I rely partially on bug reporters and others to help root them out and help out providing solutions. To ask me (or anyone) to be perfect the first time is a bit unrealistic. wink

Thanks for "listening" to me! smiley

No problem, your feedback is always invaluable and appreciated. I really appreciate the work you do in translating - it's hugely beneficial.
              shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
              • 181 Posts
              Quote from: splittingred at Jan 10, 2012, 02:32 PM
              That's the template (not MODX template) you use when preparing your Tweets that send out if you decide to tweet out when an Article is published. It's an optional setting. I agree, it should have an example there to clarify.
              I already sent a pull request for the translation, so I'll improve it when you are ready with the revision of the texts.

Quote from: splittingred at Jan 10, 2012, 02:32 PM
              Sure, I agree that sometimes things aren't best - and those translations could definitely use some work. But that's why we're open source and we foster community - to have feedback that improves the product. Things will not be perfect the first time around. I built Articles alone - and with all the other Extras I have, plus the core Revolution code, that means I'm managing millions of lines of code. I'm bound to have errors and mistakes in them; which is why I rely partially on bug reporters and others to help root them out and help out providing solutions. To ask me (or anyone) to be perfect the first time is a bit unrealistic. wink
              Well, I definitely didn't want to offend you - as I said, I have the greatest respect for your work -, and I didn't want to demand any impossible things from you. Being a web developer myself, I know how difficult and time-consuming it must be to program and maintain such a bunch of projects, with MODX being a gigantic one.

I just wanted to remind you that the texts you write will have to be understood and translated by people who aren't native speakers. My English isn't too bad, but it's mediocre at best, and so I always fear translating something I don't really understand in a way that distorts the meaning. And in the end, false labels and descriptions would have a negative influence on MODX' reputation, not mine... wink It would be great if you could take that into account while formulating the texts - it's easier to do this in the first run (especially because there are always more important things to do than revising language files wink).

BTW: You mentioned the fact that MODX should be improved by the community. Sometimes I'd like to improve some English phrases, too, but I'm a little bit hesitant because I don't know if my English is good enough. Is it okay to send some suggestions in GitHub pull requests? I don't want to "disimprove" the texts... wink

Cheers,
              Jan
                • 4,149 Posts
                Quote from: enigmatic_user at Jan 10, 2012, 11:04 PM

Well, I definitely didn't want to offend you
                Oh, don't worry, you didn't at all. Apologies if that came off like you did.

BTW: You mentioned the fact that MODX should be improved by the community. Sometimes I'd like to improve some English phrases, too, but I'm a little bit hesitant because I don't know if my English is good enough. Is it okay to send some suggestions in GitHub pull requests? I don't want to "disimprove" the texts... wink

It is absolutely OK to submit English translation suggestions - and greatly appreciated. We can discuss in the Pull Request if I feel it needs revision, as well.
                  • 181 Posts
                  Great, thank you for your reply! I'll try not to steal too much of your time with unnecessary text revisions... wink

Cheers,
                  Jan
                    • 212 Posts
                    Hi Jan,
                    just a short question about your work on the german-translation of articles. Where and when will you publish it?

Thanks for your contribution to MODx in advance!
                    Letti
                      • 181 Posts
                      Hi Letti,

I already sent a pull request eleven days ago, see https://github.com/splittingred/Articles/pull/2. Shaun (splittingred) just has to pull it in, and I guess it will be part of the next update. If you need the translation urgently, just copy the two files listed at https://github.com/enigmatic-user/Articles/tree/ed4ef0ca773e0df3a82ef01e24235b956722febe/core/components/articles/lexicon/de to the appropriate folder.

I guess Shaun has concentrated on the new MODX version the last weeks. There's also a pull request for Wayfinder that's exactly two months old now... wink

Cheers,
                      Jan