We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 17 Posts
    I have set up a MODX install and the goal is to have several websites running off a single manager. I currently have 3 contexts: web, domain1 and domain2. I have 2 domains resolving to domain1 and domain2 after following this doc - http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Creating+a+Subdomain+from+a+Folder+using+Virtual+Hosts. That part works fine and the domains are resolving to the proper contexts.

My physical file structure is such: I have the main modx install sitting in a folder off root called clients, and 2 folders off root, one for each domain (domain1.com and domain2.com). In those folders I have subfolders for images, files and media to store domain specific content. I have create 2 media sources to point to these folders.

A couple of things are not working. One is that I can see the files fine in files tab when I choose the media source but when I go to actually edit a file or do anything with it I get an error message saying the file doesn't exist.

Another (and more important problem) is that none of the plugins are able to reference the correct path. They think the core files are part of the domain folders. I have checked the paths based on the article above and they are set correctly.

I'd really like to figure out how to make contexts work with multiple domains but this path issue is keeping me back. Any ideas? What info do you need to help solve this?

Thanks!!
    Crawford
      Crawford Paul, Owner
      Bridgecourt Inc. www.bridgecourt.com
      Proudly using MODX CMS and love it!
    • Make sure your config.core.php files point to your actual core location. I assume they do or your other domains would not work at all.

It sounds like you are using 2.2. You'll need to create Media Sources for the additional physical locations you created for the domain Contexts.

None of which "plugins" are able to reference the correct path? If you are using Plugins, you will have to make sure they work with and are aware of Media Sources.

For any additional help, you'll have to be more specific about which paths are being referenced which are incorrect.
        • 17 Posts
        Thank for the reply. I will take some screen shots and post them soon. I'm sure it's just a settings thing. I do have media sources set up but I must be referencing them wrong. So far Tiny and Gallery are not getting the paths correct.

Also on the files tab when I open up one of the media sources it lists the files and folders correctly. I can upload and view files but when I got to save a file (for example a css file) it says the file does not exist.

I'll get you more info.

Crawford
          Crawford Paul, Owner
        • Quote from: bridgecourt at Dec 28, 2011, 04:31 AM
          So far Tiny and Gallery are not getting the paths correct.
          I'm not sure those Extras are even aware of Media Sources at this point, so they may need some upgrades. Let's report these as issues in each Extra's bug tracker.

Quote from: bridgecourt at Dec 28, 2011, 04:31 AM

Also on the files tab when I open up one of the media sources it lists the files and folders correctly. I can upload and view files but when I got to save a file (for example a css file) it says the file does not exist.
          Is this when working with Users in the manager who have access to specific Media Sources assigned to specific Contexts?
            • 17 Posts
            Attached is the screen shot for the files tab issue. I'm logged in as admin with full administrator access.

Also is attached an image of the Tiny Path issue. Can anyone confirm if Tiny and Gallery etc. know how to handle media sources?

Thanks,
            Crawford
              Crawford Paul, Owner
              • 17 Posts
              Another update with Gallery. I was able to get a gallery to show on the frontend by using the settings in the attached image. However with these settings the galleries in the manager do now show (see attached). So I need a setting that distinguishes between the frontend and the backend.

If I change gallery.assets_url to /assets/components/gallery/ then it works in the manager but not the frontend.
                Crawford Paul, Owner
              • Tiny uses the default media source last time I checked, so make sure the default one is properly set up. No idea on Gallery.
                  Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.