We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 13 Posts
    I have a problem with both the 2.2-RC2 and the nightly of 19th of December.

Here is the issue:
    After installation of MODX I am not able to rename any file from the files tab in the manager.
    It fails with an error that the webserver has no permission to update the directory (although I am changing a file)

I tried the following already, but does not help:

- Installed it on local Apache configuration and on MAMP on OSX (does not make a difference)
    - Installed it on MAMP 1.9 and 2.x (does not make a difference)
    - Existing files can be edited and saved, but not renamed
    - Changed the access rights of the files (does not make a difference (from 755 to 777)
    - Changed the ownership of the files (tried local admin, root, _www, but no difference)
    - Changed the user Apache is running as (tried local admin, root, _www, but no difference)
    - Uploading files just works fine, files are created with the same rights as I have set all of the files.

My MAMP configuration used to be fine when working with 2.1.5, just recently started playing with the 2.2 bits and noticed it when I wanted to enable FURL. If I rename the file through the terminal, FURL is working flawlessly, I am just not understanding why I can't rename it from the manager anymore.

The exact error is: The webserver does not have the necessary permissions to update the directory.

See screenshot for details

Update:
    If I install the 2.1.3 release on the exact same configuration (MAMP) it is working flawlessly and I can rename from the manager, but if I upgrade that working installation to 2.2 nightly of 19th december it fails again with the exact same error as mentioned before.

Is this a bug or is there something else I should try to get this working ? I am lost now especially because the "old" version works like a charm.
    [ed. note: dimban74 last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
    • I noticed that there is a "locked" icon on the ht.access file.

I thought that it may have something to do with how OS X deals with . files. You can't rename a file to a . file from the Finder, either. But you can't rename any file. Creating a new file in the same location and editing the new file is fine, but you can't rename it. [ed. note: sottwell last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 13 Posts
        I don't think it has anything to do with the locked icon, because in 2.1.3 it is no problem whatsoever. I know Finder does not allow me to rename it to .htaccess, hence the reason I changed it through Terminal, but this work in 2.1.3 from the manager.

Creating a new file in the same location and editing and saving and deleting is all fine, but renaming is not possible.
        So it is not only ht.access, but also other files are an issue, even when created from the manager.

I strongly believe that one way or the other it has something to do with 2.2, because I only upgraded 2.1.3 to 2.2 and it starts to fail. And a clean 2.2 install also fails for unknown reasons. There is nothing logged in the error log unfortunately, so I am at a loss.
        • Hm. Fiddling around with files, I find that if you create a new file the name you specify will be appended to the name of the last file you created or opened. For example, I created a file called "testing.txt", then tried creating a new .htaccess file twice, then tried creating another new file testing2.txt. What I got is testing.txt, then testing.txt.htaccess, then testing.txt.htaccess.htaccess, and finally testing.txt.htaccess.htaccesstesting2.txt
            Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
            Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
            Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
            • 13 Posts
            That is strange, I don't see that problem. I can just create abc.txt and then def.txt without problems, I just can't rename abc.txt to ghi.txt or whatever other name I would like it to be.

Which version are you using at the moment ? rc2 or the latest nightly ?

I am gonna try the latest nightly of last night and see if it fails the same way.

Update:

Tried nightly of december 20 and it still fails. Created clean install of 2.1.5 again and it works flawlessly. Could it have something to do with the change to Media Sources ? And that the default file system media source needs to be adapted to allow this ?

Update2:

Also the creation of a new folder works fine, but renaming the created folder fails with an error stating:
            'Please specify a valid directory.' See attachment for screenshot [ed. note: dimban74 last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
              • 4,149 Posts
              This has been fixed in Git; you can check out the fix in the latest nightly.
                shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                • 13 Posts
                @splittingred, thanx for your reply, but do you mean the upcoming nightly of the 21st, because I tried the nightlies of the 19th and 20th already and they had the same problem unfortunately.
                  • 4,149 Posts
                  Try redownloading today's nightly.
                    shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                    • 13 Posts
                    Thanks a lot, I downloaded it again and installed and now it is working flawlessly ! What did you do put an updated version for download or did I mess up my previous install ?
                      • 4,149 Posts
                      I rebuilt the nightly. Bad practice, I know. tongue