We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 53 Posts
    Hi,

On a site where we have 5 contexts running we're noticing an issue where users who have access to the main "web" context can access an image template variable which launches the resource browser and they can view directories and the images they contain display as thumbnails.

But when logging in as another user, which has exactly the same permissions policy applied but just does not have access to the web context they can see the directories listed but no thumbnails show up.

If I grant the user access to the web context the thumbnails show up. I've tried to create a "File Access" policy so the user has access to just the files from the web context but that doesn't seem to work. I can't seem to grant the user access but stop the web context site from showing up in the tree.

I have tried creating these context keys in the context they have access to but still no luck.

File Manager Path (filemanager_path)
    Is File Manager Path Relative? (filemanager_path_relative)
    File Manager Url (filemananger_url)
    Is File Manager URL Relative (filemanager_url_relative)

The site is question is running 2.1.3.

Hopefully this is a case of simple when you know how! [ed. note: mwalsh last edited this post 12 years, 5 months ago.]
      Enovate Design | Web Design Agency Essex
    • Files are a bit difficult to properly work with in 2.1. A new feature in 2.2, Media Sources, greatly improves that. If you can it would definitely be worthwhile to give that a try (first test before updating production, of course!).
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 53 Posts
        Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the response.

So am I right in thinking there is no way to grant this user the necessary permissions without giving them permissions to the web context such that the web context shows up in their site tree?

I am eager to upgrade to 2.2 but this is a production site so it's too risky to do so. I think for the moment I will have to grant them access to the web context so that this problem goes away and eagerly await 2.2!
        • It should be possible using the settings you mentioned, but in trying to do the same I found it to be quite difficult to get it bugfree.. some parts of the manager assume the "web" context making it follow along with the rules set for them and returning a permission error.

When the same client came around for a site update I immediately took the opportunity to do it in 2.2 with media sources - it's just so much easier to use.
            Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
            • 53 Posts
            Thanks Mark, hopefully it won't be too long and I can upgrade to 2.2.
              • 53 Posts
              Just to follow-up on this thread. I've now upgraded the site to 2.2 but I've noticed an even more awkward problem.

Now for some reason users who have access to a context can only load the pages in the manager when they also have access to the web context. Without the web context even a user with all the Administrator policy template permissions for both the context they are editing and the manager context just gets an "Error! Access Denied" message.

I need to solve this urgently so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.