We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 56 Posts
    Installing MODX Revo on the following server environment:

・PHP:5.3.6 (Suexec)
    ・Apache:2.2.3
    ・MySQL:5.5.12

Firefox: 8.0.1 (for the install wizard)
    MODX: Revo 2.1.5 (traditional)
    Filezilla: 3.5.2 (for uploading and permission changes)

But I am failing at the final hurdle - unpacking core.transport.zip

The install failed because MODX could not unpack the /var/www/sites/taiken27.ktk.gr.jp/web/modx/core/packages/core.transport.zip package. Make sure that the /var/www/sites/taiken27.ktk.gr.jp/web/modx/core/packages/core.transport.zip file exists and is writable, and that you have made the /var/www/sites/taiken27.ktk.gr.jp/web/modx/core/packages/ directory writable.

I do not understand, because I have redone it twice, and am certain I have changed the file permissions correctly to 666 and 777 (for folders).

My host provider sent me the following error log:

PHP Warning: ZipArchive::extractTo(/var/www/sites/taiken27.ktk.gr.jp/web/modx/core/packages//core/manifest.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/sites/taiken27.ktk.gr.jp/web/modx/core/xpdo/compression/xpdozip.class.php on line 142, referer: http://taiken27.ktk.gr.jp/modx/setup/index.php?action=summary

PHP Warning: ZipArchive::extractTo(/var/www/sites/taiken27.ktk.gr.jp/web/modx/core/packages//core/manifest.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/sites/taiken27.ktk.gr.jp/web/modx/core/xpdo/compression/xpdozip.class.php on line 142, referer: http://taiken27.ktk.gr.jp/modx/setup/index.php?action=install

They suggested I try with 701 instead of 777. I suspected that would not work, and I was right.

I am running out of time, so now I also turn to you.

I have seen another thread discussing this problem, but after changing to suexec it got solved. My host is already running suexec, so I am without any clues at the moment.

This question has been answered by jorgeca. See the first response.

[ed. note: jorgeca last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
      • 589 Posts
      Quote from: jorgeca at Nov 30, 2011, 08:09 AM
      I do not understand, because I have redone it twice, and am certain I have changed the file permissions correctly to 666 and 777 (for folders).

Suexec? Try 644 (files) 755 (folders).
      • discuss.answer
        • 56 Posts
        Quote from: danilocuculic at Nov 30, 2011, 11:08 PM
        Quote from: jorgeca at Nov 30, 2011, 08:09 AM

Suexec? Try 644 (files) 755 (folders).

Actually danilo, 644 for certain files was the solution.

My host ended up going through the hassle of trouble shooting this for me.
        Quite nice of them (maybe they sensed they were losing a customer).

The solution involved changing the permissions for an even wider range of folders and files than the installation wizard instructs us to.

FILES:
        /modx/core/config/config.inc.php 644
        /modx/core/packages/core/manifest.php 644
        /modx/core/xpdo/compression/xpdozip.class.php 701

DIRECTORIES:
        /modx/core/cache 777
        /modx/core/config 777
        /modx/core/export 777
        /modx/core/packages 777
        /modx/core/packages/core/modAccessPolicy 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modAccessPolicyTemplate 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modAccessPolicyTemplateGroup 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modAction 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modClassMap 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modContentType 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modContext 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modContextSetting 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modEvent 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modMenu 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modNamespace 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modSystemSetting 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modTransportProvider 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modUserGroup 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modUserGroupRole 701
        /modx/core/packages/core/modWorkspace 701
        [ed. note: jorgeca last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
          • 2 Posts
          Beyond Metrix Reply #4, 12 years ago
          I had the same problem and when I checked, I have a complete upload of the /packages/core already uploaded so when the install tried to unpack core.transport.zip it didn't have enough permissions to overwrite, so the install failed. Try renaming /core/packages/core folder to something else and rerunning - worked for me. Then I just deleted the renamed folder as the unpack had created a new version. All working fine here now for me.
          hth
          Sam
            Samantha Mignano, M IDM
            Registered Prince2 Practitioner

Beyond Metrix Ltd ~ conversion rate fanatics ~ http://www.beyondmetrix.com

Call us now for a free consultation 08456 448854
            • 93 Posts
            Quote from: sammignano at Apr 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
            I had the same problem and when I checked, I have a complete upload of the /packages/core already uploaded so when the install tried to unpack core.transport.zip it didn't have enough permissions to overwrite, so the install failed. Try renaming /core/packages/core folder to something else and rerunning - worked for me. Then I just deleted the renamed folder as the unpack had created a new version. All working fine here now for me.
            hth
            Sam
            This worked for me! Thanks!
              • 184 Posts
              Quote from: jeffmiranda at Aug 15, 2012, 03:59 AM
              Quote from: sammignano at Apr 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
              hth
              Sam
              This worked for me! Thanks!

Thank you very much! This worked for me too!
                https://www.beautyislife-shop.de - premium make-up!
                https://www.topsterne.de - sell it here!
                ---------------------------------------------------------
                • 463 Posts
                Top Tip!
                  Web site design in Nottingham UK by Chris Fickling http://www.chrisficklingdesign.co.uk
                  • 8 Posts
                  @Beyond Metrix this help's me as well smiley
                  i don't have idea why on one server installing is going clearly and on another (with this same parameters) not.