We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 87 Posts
    Hi,

I dont suppose there is much that can be done here.

When viewing my clients bandwidth, a single javascript file (/manager/assets/ext3/ext-all.js) accounts for over 10GB of their monthly bandwidth! This is 1/3 of the site's total bandwidth usage. This file is a complete pig weighing in at just over 700KB.
    If only 1 person using the manager could generate such huge bandwidth usage, Im afraid what would happen if multiple people are using the manager.

I dont suppose there is anything that can be done about this hog?
    • One person using the manager shouldn't generate 10GB of bandwidth in a month unless it's being used elsewhere on the site.

Do you use this file on your website or is someone linking to it remotely? Do you have gzip enabled which should help.
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
      • Time for modx to upgrade to extjs4 ? tongue
          Rico
          Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Thomas A. Edison
          MODx is great, but knowing how to use it well makes it perfect!

www.virtudraft.com

Security, security, security! | Indonesian MODx Forum | MODx Revo's cheatsheets | MODx Evo's cheatsheets

Author of Easy 2 Gallery 1.4.x, PHPTidy, spieFeed, FileDownload R, Upload To Users CMP, Inherit Template TV, LexRating, ExerPlan, Lingua, virtuNewsletter, Grid Class Key, SmartTag, prevNext

Maintainter/contributor of Babel

Because it's hard to follow all topics on the forum, PING ME ON TWITTER @_goldsky if you need my help.
          • 3,975 Posts
          Have you looked into it if its a pattern during past few months, or just one month?

If its happened during a single month, I think something else is happening.
            Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
            • 87 Posts
            It's only a single month. I did confirm it is being used on the site front end, for miniCalendar tooltips, so site traffic must be causing this. Youd think caching of js files would mitigate such bandwidth *shrugs*. Anyway we've made a temp change so the JS is being pulled via a CDN. I'll be following up in a month or so...
              • 863 Posts
              Not sure exactly what you are doing, but that's an extremely heavy library to use for something like tooltips. Why not use something a bit more lightweight like jQuery for the front end?
                • 249 Posts
                Quote from: goldsky at Nov 30, 2011, 06:37 AM
                Time for modx to upgrade to extjs4 ? tongue

The future of MODx is extjs4 IMHO. There would be so many benefits, including dynamic loading and ExtDirect with request batching (imagine the resource tree loading in one shot, rather than a bunch of ajax requests) - not to mention vast performance improvements. Ext4.1 will be even faster.

I know it would be a ton of work and would potentially break add-ons, but Ext4 and Ext3 are able to coexist within an application to help with the migration.
                  lo9on.com

MODx Evolution/Revolution | Remote Desktop Training | Development
                  • 87 Posts
                  We figured ExtJs already had what we needed, so we used it, instead of loading another library. Lesson learned.
                  • Quote from: graves007 at Nov 30, 2011, 06:39 PM
                    We figured ExtJs already had what we needed, so we used it, instead of loading another library. Lesson learned.
                    ExtJS is not used in the front-end unless you specifically use it. There is no issue with loading whatever js library you want in your MODX Resources as it is a complete blank slate for you to work with.