We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 26 Posts
    (sorry 3 and half week late to reply!)

Spent days/nights battling with this!!

Finally there is a solution for all those having issues and can't change host for various reasons.

My test is with MODX Revolution version 2.2.0-pl2.

So first off, the ziplib IS the issue (haven't worked out exactly the file size limit but this is definitely the bug). Here is the way to work around this.

1) Start the installation, go through the wizard till you receive the unpacking error.

2) Unpack the zip file core.transport and upload manually to the /www/core/packages/core/

3) Ensure the folders (755) and files (644) have properly propagated across.

4) Next, some DIY to the zip file (core.transport). The idea is to reduce this down to less then 1MB. Create a backup of this zip file.

5) Open zip file with your favourite application

6) Literally, delete approx half of the content, upload and complete the install

As the other core.transport content have been uploaded, you won't have any other errors.

7) Finish the wizard, success!

Hope this save the headaches and countless lost hours in sleep!
      • 20 Posts
      Genius!

works like a charm
        • 104 Posts
        Thanks for all the advice, but I can't get this working for the traditional package, and I can't change hosts.... looks like I am stuck with 2.1.3 / 2.1.5 for this site.
        I do have 2.2.0 running for a different client on a different server, and wish I could use it for this project. Installing locally works, but doesn't seem to find the css.

Oh well.
          • 20 Posts
          Hi rachelmarama1,

have you tried the solution from two posts above yours? I tried it and it worked. I think I have the same problem as you (server with php below 5.1.17 and can't extract the zip file).

greetings

Yannick
            • 104 Posts
            Hi yannicklombart - yes, I've spent the last couple of hours trying the solution proposed (although I was doing a fresh install for a new project, not an upgrade), and nothing works!

I am now going to try and install 2.1.3

If that works, I'll try an upgrade to 2.2 using those instructions again. If not, I can work with 2.1.3 and keep hassling the host to do an upgrade.
              • 90 Posts
              Same problem, zip file unpack error, despite my php and mysql being at correct levels. Tried coldhand's fix and worked (big thankyou). Can't really add much to coldhand's instructions, except that for me it worked all in a one-er, ie:

• Uploaded Advanced 2.2.1
              • Unpacked core.transport.zip to packages/core directory
              • Reduced core.transport.zip to random size of 200k and uploaded to packages
              • Started new install from beginning and installed without error

Been installing modx for a few years now - never had the problems on install like this. It's usually a skoosh to install.
                David Heriot
                pfsmedia
                • 90 Posts
                One more thing, just in case anyone else experiences this too. After (successful) installation, home page showed a 503 error. Turns out the problem was an incorrect line in index.php:

@include(dirname(__FILE__) . '/config.core.php');

took out the "/" infront of the path and that worked: @include(dirname(__FILE__) . 'config.core.php');

(thanks to edumira in another thread for spotting that one)
                  David Heriot
                  pfsmedia
                • discuss.answer
                  • 1 Posts
                  I still have the same problem, zip file unpack error after upgrading from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1 using the above instructions. Is there another solution to solve this problem?