We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 170 Posts
    Rachel,

From my experience, solution is to use the traditional version of modx since the problem is with the unzip of large archive.
    It seems there is no differences in there between 2.1.3, 2.1.5 or 2.2.

People at the developpement team may enforce that since they should know how many files are stored per archive in the different versions.

Alternatly, you can find another hoster for your site.

Hope this will help you.

Philippe
      • 104 Posts
      Thanks Phillip, but I am installing the traditional version. I have about 8 sites with this hoster, all running different versions of modx and never had a problem. I always install the traditional version.

In fact yesterday I upgraded one of the sites to 2.1.5 from 2.13 with no problems.

Is there any way to manually unzip the files?

I am uploading 2.1.3 now, but it takes 3-4 hours, so I can't test yet. That's a geographical location issue, since I am in Chile and loading files to a server in New Zealand...
        • 170 Posts
        Rachel,

There is no need to unpack the zip files manually if you are using the standard version.

The only need is when you want to move the core and or manager out of the web tree.

It seems there is one solution to manually unpack the files in the advanced version, but when I tried it it fails, my fault or not, I don't know.

For your download to NZ, if you have a SSL access to your server, its faster to do a WGET.

• 104 Posts
          Hi, the problem I am having is that when I try to do an install of the traditional version, I get an error, the same as the original poster (although with my website details, obviously):

The install failed because MODX could not unpack the /var/www/vhosts/gaokerena.com/core/packages/core.transport.zip package. Make sure that the /var/www/vhosts/gaokerena.com/core/packages/core.transport.zip file exists and is writable, and that you have made the /var/www/vhosts/gaokerena.com/core/packages/ directory writable.

The original poster also had the same error. His solution was an upgrade of PHP, which, with shared hosting is not an option for me. So, i'm going to try installing 2.1.3 which I have installed with this host with no issues in the past. I was just wondering if there was another way to install 2.1.15 when the unpacking fails....
            • 104 Posts
            my fault, nope, the OP DIDN'T have the same error. BUT, it's the same thing as I am getting, with the traditional version. It's really odd!
              • 104 Posts
              I can now confirm that I installed 2.1.3 with none of the previous issues. I'll try an upgrade to 2.1.15 shortly smiley
                • 1,842 Posts
                Hello,

By changing all folder permission to 777 in core/packages/core I could finish the install.

Hope that helps !
                  • 20 Posts
                  Hi, I tried changing the folder permissions to 777 but still no luck. It seems impossible for me to install a version of modx post 2.1.3 on my server...is that even possible?

It's very frustrating since I'm dying to test modx 2.2rc

thx
                    • 170 Posts
                    Hello all,

Solution is to update your php libraries for zip.

Most common plesk 9 servers runs ziplib rev 08 which is known buggy for a large number of files to unzip.

verify in you php info the you have this :

Zip 	enabled
                    Extension Version 	$Id: php_zip.c 305848 2010-11-30 11:04:06Z pajoye $
                    Zip version 	1.8.11
                    Libzip version 	0.9.0 

This version works definitly.

Hope this help.

Merry christmas !
                      • 20 Posts
                      Hi Fildefer57,

I asked my hosting to update to php 5.2.17 (now 5.2.6) so that ziplib would update to 0.9.0 but they couldn't do that.

Also the chmod to 777 has no effect for me, I still get an archive error. Is the only other option changing hosts?

cheers