We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 74 Posts
    I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, but I couldn't be bothered to wade through the thousands of posts that had 'insert' and 'chunk' in them.

I have mostly implemented chunks as a convenience for me. Now I'd like my clients to use them, also as a convenience for me. But I really don't want to have to explain to my clients the [[$ chunk ]] syntax when they are used to the sort-of-wysiwyg of TinyMCE.

So here it is: how do I make chunks available through the interface for insertion via TinyMCE. And more to the point, what about providing chunk insertion as part of the framework. I think ModX is dying for a drag-and-drop implementation where I can just whisk a chunk out of my elements tree and drop it into a document and have some JavaScript magic happen. smiley

• 956 Posts
      hmm, I gutess you're talking about Revo, right? In Evo, there was a "editor to use" dropdown beneath the chunk content field ("none" was default, tinyMCE an option). Pity that's gone in Revo. Perhaps file a feature request?
        • 24,544 Posts
        Check out the which_element_editor System Setting in Revolution. You can also make them rich text TVs instead of chunks.

As far as the drag-and-drop -- it's already there in Revolution. Just put the cursor where you want the chunk or snippet tag and drag and drop from the element tree.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 74 Posts
          Thanks Bob Ray. I just got your book in the mail and it inspired me to get working on some aspects of my modx implementations that I left undone. Nice work!

I had tried drag n dropping a chunk into my content area with (Revo v 2.0.8) in FF8 mac and it seemed very reluctant to do so. I mostly want to ensure that it works for my editors, who are IE8 folks I think.

I will experiment.

Thanks, and thanks ganeshXL too.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Thanks.

You should definitely upgrade to the current version. There have been many improvements and bug fixes since the one you have.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 74 Posts
              Well, using BobRay's advice I did the upgrade to the latest revo, and aside from it mangling a bunch of my date TVs, it went pretty well.

I have been playing around with dragging and dropping elements onto resources, and have only had success using IE 8 on Windows, which is depressing.

Chunks are only valuable to my content editors if they put them into their documents using the GUI. Drag & Drop (as I read it) doesn't usually work with RTEs enabled because of security. This means that chunks are not really a solution for me to provide my editors unless I can find a way to make them accessible through the GUI on more than one browser.

Has anyone built something that exposes a list of admin-approved elements for insertion via an RTE? A plugin for TinyMCE that could display a list of chunks that the user can select from for insertion?

I've been searching but I must be using the wrong nomenclature. Concrete 5 has something similar to this with its plugins, so I assume somebody's done this for modx revo

Thanks kindly.