We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 28 Posts
    Following problems occured on one specific server environment with MODX 2.1.3-pl (traditional) and PHP 5.3.5:

1. The link search for internal links in the TinyMCE insert/edit link popup doesn't find any resources, see attached image.

2. No picture thumbnails were shown. Neither in the MODX file browser, nor below template variables of input type image.

Downgrading to PHP 5.2.17 solved both problems.
    Maybe that helps somebody.
      • 28 Posts
      The hosting company no longer provides PHP 5.2 so the problem is here again! They run PHP 5.3.10 now.

Can somebody please give me a hint about what server setting could lead to the two problems above?

Thx.
      • Hello,

Can you tell us more about your server configuration, for example are register_globals and magic_quotes disabled, how is php configured to run (ex: suphp or fastcgi)?

I know our servers use 5.3.10 and we haven't encountered this issue, so it's likely with your system configuration.
          Patrick | Server Wrangler
          About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
          • 28 Posts
          Thank you, AMDbuilder.

PHP configuration meets all MODX requirements as stated here: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Server+Requirements.
          PHP Server API is CGI/FastCGI.

What could impact the link search and thumbnail generation at the same time?
          • Do you have anything in the error log for modx/server?
              Patrick | Server Wrangler
              About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
              • 28 Posts
              Quote from: AMDbuilder at Apr 28, 2012, 07:49 PM
              Do you have anything in the error log for modx/server?

The server error log fills up with following message even if I just click on a ressource in the tree:
              ...FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "/var/run/hcgi/68356"...

The MODX error log is either empty or not shown due to the following error out of the server log. This message is generated in the server log everytime I request the MODX error log:
              ...FastCGI: server "/var/run/hcgi/68376" stderr: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 44648488 bytes) in /((path))/core/xpdo/xpdo.class.php on line 1967...

Do you think the initial issues are related to the error(s) in the server log?

Thanks again!
                • 5 Posts
                I'm experiencing exactly the same with Revo 2.2.6-pl, the hosting company is hostpoint.ch they run PHP 5.3.10 as well.
                It seems to be a problem in the way phpthumb send the headers when running under FastCGI.
                I'm still investigating how to fix it but if you have more information on the subject please let me know.

Regards
                Vlax

Quote from: webaff.ch at Sep 15, 2011, 12:23 PM
                Following problems occured on one specific server environment with MODX 2.1.3-pl (traditional) and PHP 5.3.5:

1. The link search for internal links in the TinyMCE insert/edit link popup doesn't find any resources, see attached image.

2. No picture thumbnails were shown. Neither in the MODX file browser, nor below template variables of input type image.

Downgrading to PHP 5.2.17 solved both problems.
                Maybe that helps somebody.
                  • 28 Posts
                  Vlax, I’ve got two affected installations, both at Hostpoint, and no solution by now. Would you please post here any results of your investigation? Thx.

Quote from: vladox at Apr 09, 2013, 09:48 AM
                  I'm experiencing exactly the same with Revo 2.2.6-pl, the hosting company is hostpoint.ch they run PHP 5.3.10 as well.
                  It seems to be a problem in the way phpthumb send the headers when running under FastCGI.
                  I'm still investigating how to fix it but if you have more information on the subject please let me know.
                    • 5 Posts
                    Hi Webaff

Basically all boils down to the fact that this "hcgi" module (probably hostpoint own implementation of fcgi) refuses to pass to the browser the headers generated by phpThumb after exit() is called in modphpThumb.class giving just a 500 error out.
                    I had a very long email exchange with the support but they are pretending the problem is MODx, most probably their buggy implementation of FastCGI is the fault and changing something in the way the headers are being built would solve the problem. They are too lazy to investigate what the real problem is and I don't have time for trial and error investigations so I'm recommending my client to switch to another host provider and I would recommend you the same.
                    http://www.hostfactory.ch/ may be a good alternative if you want to stay in Switzerland otherwise HostGator is excellent in the USA (have some successful 2.2.7 installation running over there with no phpThumb glitches).

Best Regards and good luck

PS: If you want a transcript of my email exchange with the support I can send it to you by PM. I'm really pissed off with those guys.

Quote from: webaff.ch at Apr 12, 2013, 03:51 PM
                    Vlax, I’ve got two affected installations, both at Hostpoint, and no solution by now. Would you please post here any results of your investigation? Thx.

Quote from: vladox at Apr 09, 2013, 09:48 AM