We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 140 Posts
    A client that i'm working with has suddenly decided that they want to implement their Tumblr blog feed on a MODx Revo site that i've built for them because it automatically links to and updates their Twitter and Facebook feeds... I'm pretty sure i know how to do this, but was wondering whether it would be in any way possible for them to update with the blog that i've already set up for them (thru the boilerplate tutorial) or should i just chuck it and go with flowing in their Tumblr feed and having them update through their Tumblr page? Thanks for any insight at all.
    • Hello,

I know you can have MODX publish updates to twitter automatically, but no plugin exists for Facebook at this point in time (that I know of). You can have Facebook grab updates from Twitter or an RSS feed, and it can push to Twitter as well, so getting them all in sync without Tumblr shouldn't be that difficult.

Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 140 Posts
        cool, is there any documentation on getting modx to publish to twitter automatically? this would be tremendously helpful...
          • 140 Posts
          scratch that, i found it. so i guess all i have to do is figure out how to publish to facebook from twitter.
            • 140 Posts
            would it be impossible to publish out to Tumblr?
            • The article on auto posting to twitter is here: http://muddydogpaws.com/notebook/auto-post-to-twitter-when-publishing-in-modx.html granted it is MODX Evo centric, but a good starting point.

In regards to posting to Facebook from Twitter, you can use the Facebook Twitter app: http://apps.facebook.com/twitter/

Granted I am sure there are other ways to accomplish the same goal.
                Patrick | Server Wrangler
                About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                • 140 Posts
                actually found a great alternative but couldn't post bc the forums were acting funny... have blog content feed into an RSS which is pretty easy to set up, and then pick it up with dlvr.it which can post to quite a few of the more prominent networking sites, including Tumblr and Myspace and of course the aforementioned apps. However, i stumbled into another problem: i'm having trouble getting the image to get picked up in the RSS feed. I'm using a TV in the resource docs to grab the image. here's my rss code:
                <rss version="2.0">
                <channel>
                <title>[[*pagetitle]]</title>
                <link>[[++site_url]]</link>
                <image>
                  <url>[[++site_url]][[*article-image]]</url>
                  <title>[[*pagetitle]]</title>
                  <link>[[++site_url]]</link>
                </image>
                <description>[[*content]]</description>
                <lastBuildDate>[[!getTime?format=`%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S %z`]]</lastBuildDate>
                <language>en-gb</language>
                [[!getResources? 
                   &parents=`3`
                   &limit=`0`
                   &sortby=`createdon`
                   &sortdir=`DESC`
                   &includeTVs=`1`
                   &processTVs=`1`
                   &includeContent=`1`
                   &tpl=`rssListing`]]
                </channel>
                </rss>

and the TPL:
                <item>
                <image>[[!++site_url]][[+tv.article-image]]</image>
                <title>[[+pagetitle:toCDATA]]</title>
                <link>[[!++site_url]][[~[[+id]]]]</link>
                <guid>[[~[[+id]]]]</guid>
                <pubDate>[[+createdon:strtotime:date=`%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S %z`]]</pubDate>
                <description>[[+content:toCDATA]]</description>
                </item>

all other channels are coming thru fine but the image won't show. any ideas?
                • I can't resolve your issue, but would be interested in how you achieved the rss feed to twitter, could you explain further as I now have a client would like a similar feature.
                    Helen Warner
                    Number one pixel!
                    Proud to be linked with MODX at Crimson Pixel
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    You either need to use a full URL in the image TV, convert it to a full URL with a custom output modifier, or add code to convert it to a full URL. You can see an example of the last method in the EmailResource package (see the CssToInLineStyles class).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using . . . PLEASE!
                    MODx info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting