We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 179 Posts
    Hello everybody

I've created several categories for my elements, and used them successfully. But some time down the line I've noticed that the Snippets branch now contains empty categories despite my never having put a snippet in any of them. The same is true for almost all the element branches. I've used some categories here and there, but now I've got empty ones scattered through the element tree which is messy, inconvenient and a little frustrating.

It seems to me there shouldn't be ANY empty categories, ANYWHERE. If they're empty they ought to be pruned, only to be listed under Categories. So I have categories in the tree that don't have the little triangular arrow denoting containment. Can they be manually deleted without actually deleting the master category definition?

I wonder if I've done something odd to cause this, but how complicated can category management possibly be? I fear there's a bug involved, but must call to the powers that be to confirm, or educate me.

Thanks very much indeed.
    • I've had this on one install but not others on the same server. I tend to not bother too much, or put something in it. tongue

It does sound like a bug though, yet I have no idea how to reproduce/fix it..
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
      • It's a known bug with sub-categories. See http://bugs.modx.com/issues/4238 to track it.
          • 179 Posts
          I note that this one still isn't fixed. I presume it's a low priority, as it doesn't really prevent anything working, but as so much effort just went into redesigning the manager interface I can't help but be curious as to why nobody's fixed this seemingly trivial issue.

I don't mean to sound at all ungrateful - simply curious smiley