We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 119 Posts
    Dear All,

I forgot my admin password on my local MODX Revolution 2.1.3-pl (traditional) installation.
    I followed the different hints how to unblock / reset the login on the database (mainly by change the MD5 password with a new one in the table (prefix)_manager_users. But: this table does not exist.

Can anyone post a solution how to reset / unblock the admin account?

Thank you very much for your help.

f.

This question has been answered by BobRay. See the first response.

• 17 Posts
      The name of the table you want is simply (prefix)_users. You should recognize the username and can then give a new password, encoded with MD5.

Hope this helps you out.
        "The problem with troubleshooting is sometimes trouble shoots back." - Unk.
      • See this shiny new page for manually resetting a user password:

http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Resetting+a+User+Password+Manually

Let me know if you have any questions, problems, or suggestions for the page.
          • 119 Posts
          Thanks for your help. I followed the instructions and the change of the password went straight forward. But it doesn't solved my problem. I still cannot login.
          Now I think it could be that I played around with the access rights in the backend.
          Could it be that I removed some access rights so it is not possible to login again?

Is it possible in the backend as admin to mess up the accessrights that the (missing) credentials won't let me login again?

@opengeek: the instructions on the rtmf-page is clear and helpful. No changes / additions needed.

Thanks!
          • discuss.answer
            • 24,544 Posts
            If you edited the default Administrator Policy or the Default Administrator Policy Template, or if you removed yourself from the Administrator User Group, you might have locked yourself out.

If you changed the actual database user password in cPanel (rather than the MODX Manager password), you've definitely locked yourself out.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 119 Posts
              Thanks BobRay.
              I'll reinstall it from scratch.

Thanks for your help!
                • 7 Posts
                opengeek, THANK YOU. That worked like a charm.
                  • 52 Posts
                  Just want to add one more thing (many years later). If your tables need repair in your database, this may also be the case of your issues.

I had to repair my modx_session table first.

I tried everything in all of this documentation and it worked most likely, but I was still unable to login from my /manager/ Login form.

I then noticed that my last login timestamp was changing in modx_users and failed logins was not incrementing. To me that meant my user name and password were working. I then checked to see if I was locked out in the modx_user_attributes table. I was not.

Baffled for hours, reading the internet, found nothing. So I tried to query my modx_sessions table from MySQL and that told me the table was marked as crashed.

Probably should check / repair your database tables before doing the above, if you know your password shouldn't be changed.

LOL. Thanks (just my 2 cents)

Jason
                    Jason Buck
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Good info. I've had that experience too where the last login was updated but I successfully logging in, but was stuck at the Login page. In my case, I don't think it was a bad table, but unfortunately, I can't remember what it was.
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting