We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 416 Posts
    I have encountered the mysterious missing link list problem that has been mentioned numerous times on the forums. However, I haven't found any solutions.

The link list in TinyMCE goes missing intermittently although with enough frequency to be a problem for our cliens. It happens in various browsers and with three different users on both mac and pc machines.

Secondarily one section of the list is not properly organized. There are two folders of resources that are intermingled in the list, while all other resources are listed properly in their folders. This happens consistently for all users, browsers, etc. There are just under 200 resources on this site.

I've read through all the forum entries on this and tried several ideas posted with no effect.

• I've removed any special characters in the title of the resources
      I've disable the link list and re-enabled the list in TinyMCE configuration
      I've edited line 41 of tinymce.linklist.php in assets/plugins/tinymce/inc/ as described in this post http://forums.modx.com/index.php/topic,45244.0.html#msg312794
      I've cleared the cache in the modx manager and on my browsers between each of these attempts

The site is on a Hostmonster server
    MODx version 1.0.5
    PHP Version 5.2.17
    TinyMCE 3.3.9.2

Does anyone have a real solution for this?

Thank you!
      • 416 Posts
      Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Our client is still scratching their heads over this and so are we.
        • 145 Posts
        Terry, I'm presently being plagued by this problem. Intermittent generally, almost always with a particular site, and more often with Firefox and Chrome than IE and Safari.

Did you ever get any relief on this?
          • 1,098 Posts
          When this happend to me I deleted TinyMCE (both plugin and files) and installed it again from another version of MODX where I knew it worked well.
            • 145 Posts
            Does what I'm about to say make any sense?

When the link list is missing (Firefox 11, Chrome, especially) I close the browser and then re-open it.

The first thing I then do in the fresh browser is go to the MODx site. The link list will appear. After logging out and using the browser for other activities, I then go back to the MODx site and generally the link list will have vanished.

After a browser close, re-open, it's back!!!

Isn't there a strong message here that my browsers are going sour for some reason? How in the world can I determine what's going foul with either the browser or supporting system files?

Any thoughts?

Thanks ... Sam
              • 239 Posts
              I'm in the same boat and find this really frustrating. I just installed 1.0.13 version of TinyMCE and it still doesn't show up. Has anyone been able to figure this out. It's fairly crucial for users to be able to easily link to another page.
                • 145 Posts
                Quote from: taiyo1578 at Mar 14, 2014, 09:06 PM
                I'm in the same boat and find this really frustrating. I just installed 1.0.13 version of TinyMCE and it still doesn't show up. Has anyone been able to figure this out. It's fairly crucial for users to be able to easily link to another page.
                The person who can likely help you is known as "Guillaume Perrin (BlueIndigo on this forum)". A few years back he wrote an alternate "sorted link list" to replace the supplied one. I just chased a link to his posting and for whatever reason it's gone and this board says it was stolen.

I had this exact problem and his routine fixed it for me. This was in 2012 and the version of the supplied routine that I replaced was 'tinymce.linklist.php' Version 1.0.3 by NCrossland. My posting which thanked him for his routine was at:
                http://forums.modx.com/forums/thread/45985/amended-code-alternate-sorted-link-list-for-tinymce#dis-post-266162 See Reply #8. Reply #1 had the link which went bad.

His routine bore the same name and on my system the installation location is: \assets\plugins\tinymce\inc

We could work out a way for me send you the "alternate sorted link list" PHP file but it may not serve you well in your particular version of TinyMCE.

I never would have been able to get this working if it weren't for BlueIndigo's contribution. It's served me well now for two years.

I hope that this helps you some ... Sam Gerber
                  • 145 Posts
                  For what this is worth, the version 1.0.3 I cited was applicable to tinymce.linklist.php. My TinyMCE version is 3.3.5.1.

--- Sam
                    • 145 Posts
                    Quote from: taiyo1578 at Mar 14, 2014, 09:06 PM
                    I was hoping to hear from you by now. I contacted one of the good citizens that maintains this board and reported the two 404 errors. He was nice enough to research them and provide redirects for me.

Redirect for Alternate Sorted Link List:
                    http://modx.com/extras/package/sortedlinklistalternateversion

and the redirect for its required MODxAPI file is:
                    http://modx.com/extras/package/modxapilibrary

These items are old but they worked for me and I had your problem. My MODx is indicated to be MODx Version 1.0.4, Version codename rev 6981

Hope this helps you as it helped me .... Sam [ed. note: samg last edited this post 10 years, 1 month ago.]