We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 81 Posts
    Thanks Waivor,
    I appreciate the support - this is what makes the community. I hope to get to a point where I can help others too.

Rob
      • 38 Posts
      Hi Rob,

Just for making sure that the problems are still topical: Did you update Quip to the latest version?
        • 81 Posts
        Hi Waivor,
        still not working after updating to latest version.
        By not working I mean that comments show on blog pages without having been approved, no emails are received and the snippet does not use my modified tpl.

Thanks for following up - I hope we can sort this out.

Rob
          • 38 Posts
          Maybe the email problem can be fixed in the Quip Reply call:

notifyEmails: A comma-separated list of email addresses to send a notification email to when a new post is made on this thread.

The other problem should be fixed with: &moderate=`1`. I know you have already put this into the Quip reply but there's a little tiny thing that you should check: Have a look into your MySQL Database and check all the threads whether the have the moderate option set to 1 or not. If you create a new post and change the settings afterwards the moderate option won't be changed somehow. Same thing with the closeAfter option. [ed. note: waivor last edited this post 12 years, 7 months ago.]
            • 81 Posts
            Hi again Waivor,
            apologies for the slow reply.
            Somehow I had deleted my Moderator privileges (duh!), now I am getting emails as moderator, but not as commenter. Comments show up in the mysql db very quickly, but still do not show up in the Quip component.
            What field in the quip_threads table needs to be changed? Also wondering if its worth emptying the quip_thread, quip_comments tables as there are no non-testing comments there anyway?
              • 38 Posts
              Hi Robin,
              Check the quip_threads table (quip_call_params, quipreply_call_params) whether all options in your calls are registered correctly or not. Sorry but somehow in my last post you couldn't see the "Have a look into your MySQL Database and check all the threads whether they have the moderate option set to 1 or not.".

Maybe this will help you as well. These are my calls:
              [[!Quip? &thread=`blogNr[[*id]]` &useGravatar=`1` &dateFormat=`%d.%m.%Y um %H:%M` &gravatarIcon=`` &gravatarSize=`52` &closeAfter=`0` &threadedPostMargin=`0` &threaded=`1` &maxDepth=`5` &tplComment=`quipComment` &tplComments=`quipComments` &useCss=`0` &replyResourceId=`[[*id]]`]]

[[!QuipReply? &thread=`blogNr[[*id]]` &dateFormat=`%d.%m.%Y um %H:%M` &tplAddComment=`quipAddComment` &tplPreview=`quipPreview` &closeAfter=`0` &moderate=`1` &recaptcha=`1` &disableRecaptchaWhenLoggedIn=`0` ]]

[ed. note: waivor last edited this post 12 years, 7 months ago.]
                • 81 Posts
                Hi Waivor,
                thanks again for your help.
                Looking at the tables in sql I see that they are in latin1_swedish_ci collation when the rest of the db is utf8_general_ci - not sure if that matters??

As there were only test comments in the quip tables I emptied them, then added a new comment via another browser. This is what showed up in the quip_threads table:

SQL result

Generation Time: Sep 17, 2011 at 01:18 PM
                Generated by: phpMyAdmin 3.4.4 / MySQL 5.0.92-community
                SQL query: SELECT * FROM `quip_threads` LIMIT 0, 30 ;
                Rows: 2
                name createdon moderated moderator_group moderators notify_emails resource idprefix existing_params quip_call_params quipreply_call_params
                blog-post358 2011-09-17 13:13:55 0 Administrator 358 qcom {} {"tplComment":"quipComment","tplCommentOptions":"quipCommentOptions","tplComments":"quipComments","tplReport":"quipReport","rowCss":"quip-comment","altRowCss":"quip-comment-alt","olCss":"quip-comment-parent","unapprovedCss":"quip-unapproved","dateFormat":"%b %d, %Y at %I:%M %p","showWebsite":true,"idPrefix":"qcom","resource":"","moderate":false,"moderators":false,"moderatorGroup":false,"requireAuth":false,"requireUsergroups":"","threaded":"0","threadedPostMargin":15,"useMargins":false,"maxDepth":5,"replyResourceId":"358","closeAfter":"30","useGravatar":"0","gravatarIcon":"identicon","gravatarSize":50,"gravatarUrl":"http:\/\/www.gravatar.com\/avatar\/","sortBy":"rank","sortByAlias":"quipComment","sortDir":"ASC","limit":0,"offset":0,"removeAction":"quip_remove","reportAction":"quip_report","parent":"0","thread":"blog-post358","closed":false,"useCss":true,"authorTpl":"quipAuthorTpl","nameField":"username","showAnonymousName":false,"anonymousName":"","allowRemove":true,"removeThreshold":3,"allowReportAsSpam":true,"toPlaceholder":"","placeholderPrefix":"quip","debug":false,"debugUser":"","debugUserId":"","start":0,"tplPagination":"quipPagination","tplPaginationItem":"quipPaginationItem","tplPaginationCurrentItem":"quipPaginationCurrentItem","paginationCls":"quip-pagination","pageCls":"quip-page-number","currentPageCls":"quip-page-current","stillOpen":true} []

blog-post-358 2011-09-17 13:13:56 1 Administrator 358 qcom {} [] {"thread":"blog-post-358","requireAuth":false,"requireUsergroups":"","tplAddComment":"tplAddCommentRob","tplLoginToComment":"quipLoginToComment","tplPreview":"quipPreviewComment","closeAfter":"30","requirePreview":false,"previewAction":"quip-preview","postAction":"quip-post","unsubscribeAction":"quip_unsubscribe","allowedTags":"
                <b><i>","preHooks":"","postHooks":"","debug":false,"closed":false,"moderate":"1","moderateAnonymousOnly":false,"moderateFirstPostOnly":true,"moderators":"","moderatorGroup":"Administrator","dontModerateManagerUsers":true,"dateFormat":"%b %d, %Y at %I:%M %p","useCss":true,"notifyEmails":"","recaptcha":false,"recaptchaTheme":"clean","disableRecaptchaWhenLoggedIn":"0","autoConvertLinks":true,"extraAutoLinksAttributes":"","useGravatar":true,"gravatarIcon":"identicon","gravatarSize":50,"tplReport":"quipReport","idPrefix":"qcom","redirectTo":"","redirectToUrl":"","debugUser":"","debugUserId":""}

You might be able to decipher that. Here is the chunck I'm using to enable quip comments:
                <br />
                <div id="post-comments" id="comments">[[!Quip? &thread=`blog-post[[*id]]` &replyResourceId=`[[*id]]` &closeAfter=`30` &threaded=`0` &useGravatar=`0` &tplComment=`quipComment`]]
                  <br /><br />
                  [[!QuipReply? &thread=`blog-post-[[*id]]` &tplAddComment=`tplAddCommentRob` &closeAfter=`30` &moderate=`1` &recaptcha=`1` useGravatar=`0` &disableRecaptchaWhenLoggedIn=`0` ]]
                </div>

Thanks
                Rob
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  The mismatched character set could be a problem. If so, this might help: http://bobsguides.com/convert-db-utf8.html
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 81 Posts
                    Hi BobRay,
                    thanks for your input. I've converted the character set, so all tables are now utf8_general_ci.

Adding a comment quickly sends an email to the moderator address flagging the need for moderation. However it still does not show up in the Quip component section. Recaptcha is not showing either.

Not sure where to go from here sad

Rob
                      • 81 Posts
                      This error changed as new fixes were tried. The major problem was that comments did not appear in the manager. The source of that issue was linked to other problems.

It turns out the www.robpacker.com/assets directory had file permissions of 777. The server configuration would not allow it to be writeable by group so it prevented the connector.php of components to be accessed.

I had been looking at permissions for the component folders, but the problem was higher up the tree. Not sure how that folder got those permissions, but it's fixed now.

Another issue that emerged was that even approved comments would not show. The reason was that I had been using
                      &thread=`blog-post-[[*id]]` 
                      in my call as in an example - problem was none of my posts had the same naming scheme. Changing that part of the call to
                      &thread=`[[*pagetitle]]`
                      worked.

Thought I'd add all that for future reference, it may help someone else.