We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 9 Posts
    I've been struggling to get the ModX Gallery Galleriffic fast for a while now. In my search to make it faster (thumbnail loading), i've tried a lot of things (see also: http://forums.modx.com/index.php?topic=67275.0 ).

Recently, I've tested gallery without the Galleriffic plugin and noticed thumbnail loading is still very slow. Further testing showed that even custom PHP pages within Revo (without the use of Gallery or other ModX plugins) are slow when loading thumbs. When the custom PHP page is not included in ModX it's fast.

This keeps me guessing on how I can get Revo to be faster. The biggest problem I have right now is the Gallery/Gallerriffic loading times, but also the custom PHP page is a pain in the ***. I've noticed that my server doesn't support Imagemagick (and the admin doesn't want to install it for security reasons). I do have GD. Might this be causing the slow performance in Revo? I'm talking about loading times for 100+ thumbs.

Any help would be great! smiley
      • 863 Posts
      I'm not familiar with Gallerific, but is the problem happening with the listing snippet or the thumbnails being generated on the fly? Have you cached everything that can be cached?
        • 9 Posts
        Yes, everything that can be cached is cached. Even for non-dynamic content everything you pass trough ModX goes 10 times slower than by not putting it trough ModX. sad
          • 9 Posts
          Anyone got any tips on how to increase performance in Revo?

I've moved away from Galleriffic to the "regular" Gallery, with Colorbox. Still, things go painfully slow. What is it with ModX and images? Am I the only one with this problem, am I doing something wrong? Please help! sad
          • Hello,

This sounds more like a server issue, can you tell us more about your hosting environment?
              Patrick | Server Wrangler
              About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
              • 9 Posts
              This is what i've got from the control panel:

Processor Name	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz
              Vendor ID	GenuineIntel
              Processor Speed (MHz)	2666.761
              Processor Name	Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz
              Vendor ID	GenuineIntel
              Processor Speed (MHz)	2666.761
              Total Memory	4147992 kB
              Free Memory	222756 kB
              Total Swap Memory	8388600 kB
              Free Swap Memory	6715324 kB
              System Uptime	119 Days, 21 Hours and 28 Minutes
              Apache 2.2.19	Running
              DirectAdmin 1.38.4 	Running
              Exim 4.76	Running
              MySQL 5.1.57	Running
              Named 9.3.6	Running
              sshd 	Running
              dovecot 2.0.13 	Running
              pure-ftpd 1.0.32	Running
              Php 5.2.17	Installed

The server is located in the Netherlands, just like me. The only thing I know that might be an issue is the absence of Imagemagick. GD is installed, but the server admin doesn't want Imagemagick on his server. Could this be causing the speed issue? It's shared hosting on a rather big account. Performance outside of ModX is fine.

Pages that don't contain any images processed trough Gallery or PHPthumbof are normal speed. I've really tried everything, but I can't seem to figure out the poor performance I'm getting. I've looked in the error log, and it doesn't show anything strange. CSS and JS are compressed. Really the only quirk I have is with images trough Gallery, but somehow I highly doubt that it has anything to do with the Gallery addon itself...