We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8304
    • 8 Posts
    Hi there,

    The last couple of days I have spend my time reading up on modx, and installed version 0.9.5 on a test site, needless to say I am more then impressed with modx and I would love to use it for my own project, problem is that I don’t know if I should wait for 1.0 (I read that the core is totally re-written, and makes me fear that upgrading will be a pain in the rear, and/or modules used in 0.9.5 won’t work in 1.0) or go ahead and use 0.9.5...

    If somone could enlighten me I would be very thankfull.
      • 22815
      • 1,097 Posts
      This basically depends on what your own project is. If you are intending on writing a lot of your own routines, then you may find that they need to be tweaked for 1.0. If you are just putting together a website using standard features and things from the Repository etc, then you will probably find that the upgrade will be smooth - although you may have to wait a few weeks from the release of 1.0 before all the Repo things you need have been upgraded too.

      In a nutshell:

      Project is a Web Application - probably best waiting.
      Project is a Web Site - jump in now.

      That said, 1.0 is a way off at present and your project will benefit from any extra time spent on it. If you approach it with a view to almost even starting again when 1.0 comes out, your work now will be a valuable prototype and a place where you can really nail down what you want to do with the project.
        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
        • 727
        • 502 Posts
        I believe OpenGeek previously stated that 1.0 won’t likely be available before the middle of next year, unless something dramatically changes.

        Andy
          • 8304
          • 8 Posts
          Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it... oh yeah, damn good job on modx