We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8439
    • 89 Posts
    Hi guys,

    Having waited a few weeks I was about to update some legacy sites to 0.9.5 as that seemed like a stable release with no security issues apart from the file upload one.

    But today I noticed the changelog in svn referring to 0.9.5.1, so if you were me would you upgrade my sites this weekend or would you wait. N.B. I am NOT asking about a release date for 0.9.5.x.

    Ed
      • 28042 ☆ A M B ☆
      • 24,524 Posts
      Unless you are really pressed for time, or have already done the security upgrades, I would update immediately, for the security fixes. And even then I would upgrade now anyway, for the same reason. You’ll lose a lot more time if some low-life discovers that your sites are vulnerable.

      You can always update again when 0.9.5.1 is released, if you really feel that you need to. The upgrades themselves are very quick and painless; the only time-consuming part is the site backup and the uploading of the new installation, and that depends on the speed of your connection.
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 8439
        • 89 Posts
        Quote from: sottwell at Jan 12, 2007, 02:42 AM

        Unless you are really pressed for time, or have already done the security upgrades, I would update immediately, for the security fixes. And even then I would upgrade now anyway, for the same reason. You’ll lose a lot more time if some low-life discovers that your sites are vulnerable.

        Sensible advice as always, the legacy sites are actually 0.9.5 release candidates but I guess it is worth doing. When I started working with modx I wrote shell scripts to backup databases and sites in preparation for uploading and am working on a shell script for doing most of the legwork of upgrading (at least to 0.9.5). When I’ve tested them further and cleaned them up I’ll post.

        Ed
          • 28042 ☆ A M B ☆
          • 24,524 Posts
          Well, at least you’re covered as far as the security fixes go. I was thinking 0.9.2 or maybe even older, like Eto 0.6. I recently had the pleasure of upgrading a number of these. And the amazing thing is, not a single one of them gave me any trouble at all in the upgrade. Although I didn’t upgrade any of the snippets (a "clear all" button sure would have been nice on that page of the installer!) just to be on the safe side. The plugins and modules I did upgrade.

          I upgrade my own two sites and my local dev installations from SVN every week or two when the SVN activity is lively enough. I’m running the sottwell.com site on a bleeding-edge alpha 0.9.7 that gets updated at least once a week. But then I’m doing those just for fun.
            Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
            Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
            Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
            • 27376
            • 576 Posts
            Might be a thread hi-jack, but....

            When the next version of MODx comes out (1.0?) will there be an upgrader since the database structure is supposed to change?
              • 6726
              • 7,075 Posts
              Don’t worry, things will change gradually (e.g there will be significant changes before 1.0 that take the future architecture into account), and things are thought out you’ll be fine smiley
                .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.


                MODx est l'outil id