We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Paraphrased from a discussion about how the GPL affects a person's ability to charge for sites in MODx and how it affects their proprietary snippets/modules (in short, it doesn't so much) ... The conclusion is worth posting a sticky topic, as it seems like this discussion pops up quarterly, as it does on many OS projects. Here's our take on the GPL means for you and for your sites built in MODx:

Legalities (Letter of the Law)
    [*] You can use MODx to develop sites for clients. You can host the site or deliver it to the client to host and no one has to release any code back to the project, including modified MODx code, unless you want to. You have to make the MODx core code available to the client, or at least tell them where to find it. You cannot place restrictions on the customer's right to redistribute said MODx code.
    [*] If you write snippets as part of developing a site for a client, you don't have to distribute them on GPL if they only call the MODx API and don't change any MODx code. You can distribute them using a closed-source commercial license.
    [*] If you modify the MODx code (i.e. anything shipped with the MODx tarball/zip-file) for any reason it must be licensed under the GPL if you choose to distribute the changes. Hosting a site is considered distribution.
    [*] You can make money from any of the above because the GPL is only concerned with distribution.

Ethics (Spirit of the Law)
    [*] MODx is the result of more than 10,000 hours and 2 years (as of Dec '06). We've donated this project and don't require or ask much of the people that use it. We've spent more real dollars that hours too, and have ongoing monthly expenses that are still not fully covered by donations.
    [*] If you make changes to MODx, please share them back with the community. If you choose not to do so, or try to hide the fact a site is running MODx behind an authenticated Manager login, we simply ask that you abstain from using the support forums for any reason whatsoever. In my personal view, the GPL is not about support, but about sharing.

We're working on a "private label" MODx license (and support/distribution mechanism) for developers that want a fully brand-able manager, and we hope to have that resolved along with the 1.0 release.

[ed. note: rethrash last edited this post 12 years, 1 month ago.]
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 7,075 Posts
      Great post Ryan... as we discussed, I’ll translate it and I suggest moderators of each local communities do the same, not everybody speaks english...

PS : it seems you forgot to make it a sticky wink
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
      • LOL ... I could’ve sworn I had made it sticky, but apparently not. smiley Now it is.
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 7,075 Posts
          I thought it was, but after searching the forums to find this thread back, realized it wasn’t... otherwise I wouldn’t have noticed either !
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 93 Posts
            The private label sounds great! Very clever.
              • 1,131 Posts
              "Private Label" makes it sound like a bottle of wine. "Would like a glass of our private label 1999 MODx Cabernet Sauvigon? Or perhaps a pint of our MODx stout on tap?" That’s the wonderful thing about the GPL...it gives the developers alot more choices on how software can be used. smiley
                Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
                • 222 Posts
                Thanks Ryan for making it explicit. I already translated it into Polish.
                  This is the web: the only thing you know about who will come is that you don't know who will come.
                  • 186 Posts
                  Is there any German translation yet?
                  I’d be happy to create one!
                  wink
                  • I don’t think so... that’d be great and thanks! smiley
                      • 186 Posts
                      You’ll get it tomorrow - it’s close to midnight in Berlin/GER... laugh