We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Anyone know of companies that charge a fee and set up modx on my site?
    Actually, I have it on my site and running, but there are a few things I don’t understand and haven’t been able to figure out from reading the support pages. For those things I’d be willing to pay someone to help me sort it out.

• 1,097 Posts
      There’s a few people willing to help you out for a few bob, and there are a bunch of companies who will set up MODx and treat you as a client, but I don’t know about companies that set it up for you. Certainly if you make a donation to MODx itself, you’ll get a bit more handholding and leeway with things that don’t really come under the remit of MODx.

However, you should just ask about your issues first. Some of the concepts are difficult to grasp and the process of answering questions is useful in improving the documentation.

Whereabouts in the world are you?
        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
        • 3 Posts
        I’m in Utah. And I think making a donation is a great idea. I’m going to do just that.
          • 7,075 Posts
          Thanks Rockworth, that’s great !

I really think if you put a bit of time into learning MODx, you won’t regret it, really.
          And the forum’s support is really quick and friendly, so you might just get there on your own, most have managed it this way I think smiley
          Of course, there are quite a list of people that will be able to help you if still need help smiley
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
            • 3 Posts
            I have figured out how to get MODx running on my site, but here are four things I am struggling with. If anyone can comment on these, I would be grateful.

How do I go directly to a page and use quick edit without first logging in on the main login page? How do I set this up for others to do the same thing?

What is the filename for the main login page? I’d like to modify the look of that.

I don’t understand snippets. Do I copy the code that is listed on the snippet tab, then the specific snippet, and paste that into a new page that I’m creating?

Can MODx work outside the installation folder? What I mean is that I have a folder in the root directory where I have installed MODx. Does that mean that every document I use with MODx will have to reside in that subfolder?
              • 4,213 Posts
              Quote from: rockworth at Aug 11, 2006, 07:38 PM

How do I go directly to a page and use quick edit without first logging in on the main login page? How do I set this up for others to do the same thing?
              You allways have to login first to get access to quickedit. If you wouldn’t have to login, just anyone could come to your site and mess it up. But future versions of modx, I’m sure that at some point there will be a system where modx can remember your login and log you automatically if you want when visiting on the site (like this forum does). If you are eager enough, you could make it happen right away by doing some coding if you can.

What is the filename for the main login page? I’d like to modify the look of that.
              You can set the document ID what will be loaded by default in the system configuration settings (administration > system configuration > site start). By default, I believe the page name in document tree is "Home". By filename, if you mean what shows in the URL while you visit the page, it’s not related to any physical file. If you haven’t set up Friendly URLs yet, the urls are something like www.yoursite.com/index.php?id=12, but after you set up friendly urls, you can define the url "filename" to use when creating the document by writing it to the alias field. You can also set prefix and suffix to that alias filename, so you could make the homepage work with a url like www.yoursite.com/home.html but there still wouldn’t actually be a file called home.html in server filesyste, it’s just one of the wonders that modx can do.

I don’t understand snippets. Do I copy the code that is listed on the snippet tab, then the specific snippet, and paste that into a new page that I’m creating?
              You can call the snippets in your document by using [[snippet]] tag, where snippet is the name of the snippet. If you call them [[likethis]], the snippet will run at first time it’s request and then the result is cached and retrieved from cache in any following requests. If you call them [!likethis!] (note the exlamation chars) you can force the snippet to run every time even when the other page content would be cached. Snippets usually have some parameters what you can set in the snippet call to "configure" the snippet. These are used like this: [[snippet? &parameter=`value`]] so things you should note in that is: 1. after the snippet name, there is ? char, then & char and parameter name, then = and the value for the parameter is wrapped in backticks `. These has to be backticks and not singlequotes, this is the most usual mistake that new users do. There can be x amout of parameters for a snippet. Usually the snippet parameters are explained in the snippet documentation at resource repository, but they can also be inside the archive what you download in separate documentation file or at the head of the snippet code. Most snippets also have some example snippet calls that you can test the snippet with.

Can MODx work outside the installation folder? What I mean is that I have a folder in the root directory where I have installed MODx. Does that mean that every document I use with MODx will have to reside in that subfolder?
              Yes and no. When you create documents with modx, they are saved in the database and not in filesystem and in URL, they are usually in the modx subfolder. When you use Friendly alias paths, every folder in modx represents a subfolder in URL. But if you mean that you have some other php script from where you would want to access modx features (in code), this is also possible. You can use for example the ModXapi Library to connect to modx from your script. And I believe your script can be anywhere in the filesystem.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
                • 1,097 Posts
                Everything doze says is valid, but may not be the answers you’re looking for. So here’s some other angles.

You can change it so that logging in goes straight to the home page rather than to the Manager, which may be quicker for you. You need to add manager users; you can restrict what parts of the Manager.

I think you’re talking about the page you see when you go to /manager/. In that case, you should be aware that the manager (and thus the manager login page) is templatable. That’s set under Miscellaneous Settings in Administration : System Configuration in the Manager. I can’t confirm the filenames off hand from where I’m writing this.

Another option would be to use .htaccess to redirect /fred.html to /modx/index.php? etc. This would need a few tweaks within MODx, and I wouldn’t really advise it, but it’s not impossible.
                  No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
                  MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
                  Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
                  Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
                  Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
                  MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!