We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Oh great, I can’t even post Japanese in this forum. Everything goes mojibake, well here you go then in English:

I’m considering switching from my current CMS to MODx, but on my current website - being mostly in German - I need to use Japanese in a few locations. E.g. Portfolio pages etc. I’d very much prefer to have the admin interface in either English or German, and the Japanese would only needed to be used in the content part of a few pages. Also the weblog part would have to be in German, because almost all of my weblog readers only speak German (the blog is 99% in German).

I have no idea if anyone here has ever had similar requirements or issues, but is there a way to use Japanese with MODx being localized into English or German?
      • 253 Posts
      Hi, Kilian. grin
      You can do you expect.
      In MODx, all pages must be encoded with the same character code. Probably you will be to choose utf-8 as a character code.
      And, you can switch a language by <html> TAG if you want to express it by a different language every page.
      This can be realized by preparing a different template for each language.
      In addition, if you want to let plural languages coexist in one document, you can do it using <div>, <span>tags with lang attributes. example: <span xml:lang="ja" lamg="ja">こんにちは</span>

こんにちは、kilian
      MODxでは、全てのドキュメントは、同じキャラクターコードで表現する必要があります。
      そうでないと、マネージャの画面で文字化けしてしまうからです。
      独語と日本語を同時に扱いたいなら、Unicodeしか選択の余地は無いと思います。
        • 3 Posts
        Thanks for the info. So, which files would I have to switch to UTF-8 to make sure I can use Japanese throughout, when necessary?