We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 41 Posts
    I have a site that has been getting hits of around 5k an hour for the last 30 hours- ModX handled it no problem until just now:

« MODx Parse Error »
    MODx encountered the following error while attempting to parse the requested resource:
    « Failed to select the database ’salone_modx’! »

Parser timing
    MySQL: 0.0000 s s (0 Requests)
    PHP: 0.0219 s s
    Total: 0.0219 s s

the site is ceasefirecampaign.org, which has been sent out through MoveOn.org in regard to the fighting in Lebanon, ad has been getting a lot of attention. I am hoping someone here can help, although I suspect this may not even be a problem with ModX, but that the database has gone down on the service provers end. If someone can help- it is urgently needed and would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
      • 4,213 Posts
      Well, this pretty much says it all:

« Failed to select the database ’salone_modx’! »
      So, can you access your mysql server with some client like phpmyadmin and check what’s the state of that database.

But I would suggest that you disable the visitor logging when having so much traffic on your site. The current native logging is not very good and it can make your dbtables very large when having busy site. This is the most common reason for db problems on large sites..

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
        • 41 Posts
        thanks- the site is back up now, but I will do as you suggest. When I log into manager now I get this:

Warning: mysql_query(): Unable to save result set in /hsphere/local/home2/salone/ceasefirecampaign.org/manager/actions/static/welcome.static.action.php on line 154

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /hsphere/local/home2/salone/ceasefirecampaign.org/manager/actions/static/welcome.static.action.php on line 155

Warning: mysql_query(): Unable to save result set in
        /ceasefirecampaign.org/manager/actions/static/welcome.static.action.php on line 161

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /ceasefirecampaign.org/manager/actions/static/welcome.static.action.php on line 162

Warning: mysql_query(): Unable to save result set in
        /ceasefirecampaign.org/manager/actions/static/welcome.static.action.php on line 168

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /ceasefirecampaign.org/manager/actions/static/welcome.static.action.php on line 169

This table shows some visitor statistics for your site. For more detailed information, please visit the `Visitor Stats` page.

So I suspect you are correct
          • 4,213 Posts
          If you can connect to the mysql server using phpmyadmin, it would probably be good to check the state of the loggin tables and try to fix them if corrupted.. or you can clear them altogether if you are going to disable the logging.. (correct me anyone if I’m wrong)

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."