We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 29 Posts
    I’m going to speak English because my German is crappy.

I’m building a multi-language website, but i have some problems with german characters. They aren’t shown properly with and "?" or something like "Tipps für Neugeborene". I use latin1_german2_ci charset.

When I use for example ü it works fine. But I can’t do that in pagetitles in modx, or don’t know how.

Can anyone help me?

A german response is ok with me, I can read it, but not write it that well.

Thanks
      • 956 Posts
      I use latin1_german2_ci charset.

That should work. However, it’s crucial to use consistent encoding everywhere: The DB itself, the DB-connection, MODx config, HTML meta tag and PHP headers.
      On some crappy server setups, Apache sends default encoding headers that might conflict with your intended encoding.

Your safest bet would be to use UTF-8. In the tinyMCE settings, make sure you select entity encoding = "raw". Clear the modx-cache when you change such settings.
        • 29 Posts
        Ok, thanks for your help.

I will look into it and post back if i cant get it solved.

---edit---
        btw..i chose latin1_german2_ci purely for german characters. Before I used UTF-8, there where no problems at all, only when I had to read from a database it got messed up. And when I changed the database collation to latin1_german2_ci, there where no funny signs in the database no more, only when I showed the results on a webpage. So then I changed the website charset from UTF-8 to latin1_german2_ci the database results came out good, but then everywhere else it got messed up. I fixed that mostly using "ü" for instance, exept in pagetitles, wich in MODX cant be altered in the HTML code, only using a form ( if you know what i mean).