We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 89 Posts
    Hi,

I am a newbie evaluating MODx for a couple of smallish client projects. I have noticed recent activity on SVN and given I have no MODx legacy to maintain was wondering which version of MODx to evaluate/install for client usage.

I am over 18 and know all about development releases and the risks involved but would like the best advice I can get.

Will the svn version become 0.9.5? and if so

Is there sufficient new compelling stuff in svn to make it worth starting with that as opposed to 0.9.2.1?

Is it safe enough for evaluation usage?

for deployment?

Will there be database incompatibilities with 0.9.5 or any other upgrade issues which are more complex than just replacing the MODx directories?

And I might as well ask, is there an ETA for 0.9.5

Thanks for any info,

Ed
      • 1,097 Posts
      Right this minute, there isn’t sufficient new compelling stuff in SVN to make it worth starting with that - there is exciting stuff planned for 0.9.5 but most of it hasn’t been committed yet. Also, SVN has not yet been updated with the latest snippets (because the demo content will also need updating).

There will be an upgrade path from 0.9.2.1 so I wouldn’t worry about that. Certainly it’s easier than upgrading the SVN version to 0.9.5

There isn’t a solid ETA; it’s been "about two weeks" for a while now. However from what I’ve seen recently it looks safe to say that at the very least the SVN will be significantly more exciting by the end of August.
        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
        • 89 Posts
        Quote from: PaulGregory at Jul 31, 2006, 10:45 AM

There isn’t a solid ETA; it’s been "about two weeks" for a while now. However from what I’ve seen recently it looks safe to say that at the very least the SVN will be significantly more exciting by the end of August.

Thanks for that, I’ll just track svn for now, would it possible to post to one of the forums when the svn version is worth playing with?

Ed
          • 1,097 Posts
          You may find what’s there now worth playing with, but it’s not particularly indicative of where 0.9.5 is going.

Basically look out for snippet.ditto.tpl and snippet.wayfinder.tpl showing up in install/.
          Also (perhaps more excitingly) keep an eye on manager/includes.
            No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
            MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
            Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
            Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
            Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
            MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!