We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 173 Posts
    Still trying to get to grips with modx

I`ve got a website full of affiliate links, all are under categories such as

Mobile phones, Home and Garden, Sports etc

Under each category I will have about 30 or 40 short descriptions that I need each to have a click thu to the full descriptions.

I can create each full page just by inputing all the data, but how do I create the main category page with the partial data?

At the moment when I create a folder as a category say Mobile phones, then create a page under that. The page becomes a link in the navigation, but I dont want the link, I just want to show the partial content on the main folder/page.

Any help would be great cus I`m pulling my hair out.
      I made my first site with modx
      ------------------------
      Shopping blog
      Sky+ HD
    • Check out Ditto - though it is touted primarily as a blog snippet, it’s really good at summarizing any kind of document, it’s content, and related data (such as TV data), so it would essentially become the listing of your subcategories and/or documents, and could be configured for each subcategory folder as well, so you could have summaries of each subcategory/folder.
        • 173 Posts
        Thanks for the reply,  however l wanted to input all my data in one go, and the tv’s I have setup include all the data including a kind of summary, basically thats not the worry. My problem is how do I setup the category page using the data I already have?

I just need a few of the tv’s in a kind of loop to pull them all out of the database and show them on the category page one after the other.

Do I need to use a snippets?

------------------------
          Shopping blog
          Sky+ HD
        • Would this not work if your Ditto template chunk only had the [*tvWhatever*] in it? Then only what is in the "Whatever" TV would be displayed for each document.
            Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
            Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
            Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
            • 173 Posts
            I have tried to install ditto but the instructions were vague, I think its installed how do i check? I copied the directory from the .zip file to the /assets/snippets/ directory now what do I do? what is the snippet.ditto.php file for in the root of the .zip file?

Remember I am new to all this just trying to see if I can use it or not.
              ------------------------
              Shopping blog
              Sky+ HD
              • 173 Posts
              I fianally got ditto to work and I must say its the way of the future.

ss
                ------------------------
                Shopping blog
                Sky+ HD