We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,611 Posts
    Hello -

I’m trying to decide how to do a member list module for a site. Basically members will sign up and we want to have their info show up on the site (after approval by a moderator). We want this info to be easy to edit, search and sort by different member characteristics, etc.

So my first instinct is to make each member a document and put them in a non-public folder. Then we can grab the ones we want to show for specific pages from there and use them as we would news or any other atomized content. This would also make it super easy for the clients to edit, publish, etc.

But...

At the moment there are some 2300 members, and someday there may be twice that many or more. Is that asking for trouble? If so, is there a way to minimize said trouble or avoid it altogether?

For example, will having this many documents cause some scripts (menu builders and whatnot) to slow down the public site, or will the manager choke on that many docs?

I could always offload the member info into a separate mySQL table and access if from there, but then I’d have to create my own manangement interface in MODx and that’s a lot of work that I’d prefer to avoid (and of course I’d never do it as well as the existing MODx interface).

Suggestions? Anyone have experience with a large number of documents on a site? Is the practical limit actually much higher than the number I’m worrying over?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
      "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
      • 1 Posts
      There are some interesting threads here in the forums which address your topic.
      Like this one: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,5430.0.html
      And there are others, just search for "000" wink or "performance".
      My impression, however, is that the limits are beyond of what you’re asking for...