We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 356 Posts
    There’s something buggy about the login, the cookies also seem to be on the buggy side too

can anyone confirm this or has had similiar issues ?

#. user logins ok but sometimes when you go to a certain page it shows user not logged in
    #. when user logs out, some pages show logged out while others still show logged in
    #. when user tries to change password, it will not let them

i’m using the folllowing snippets

[[WebLogin]]
    [[WebChangePwd]]
      SMF Bookmark Mod - check it out
      http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=350
      • 4,213 Posts
      Have you tried useing uncached snippet calls? i.e. [! !]

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
        • 356 Posts
        Yep, it still does some weird stuff,

finally got the password thing to work,

when web user pages are private, are login sessions connected directly to the pages ?

ie  when logged in it will display username on private pages they have access to but when you go outside the private areas back into the public pages the user name changes to welcome visitor and it shows user not logged in

very strange behavior, the other day it showed a user (not me) logged in on my browser, i could see their display name instead of mine

another strange thing is in firefox if i’m logged out in safari, firefox will show me as logged in even though i never logged in using firefox and cleared all cookies, passwords, cache, etc., Firefox should not be showing user logged in if they are not
          • 356 Posts
          it gets old when you have to keep clearing cookies to make the login work correctly ? Any chance Modx is going to imrpove on the login system ? Modx is not keeping good tabs on users login/logout, its a pain in the ass surely there must be a better way no ?
          • bugsmi0,

Could you please create a reproducible test scenario that we can use while fixing this oversight? Thanks for helping track this one down, it’s indeed very important!
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 356 Posts
              Quote from: rthrash at Jul 21, 2006, 02:03 PM

bugsmi0,

Could you please create a reproducible test scenario that we can use while fixing this oversight? Thanks for helping track this one down, it’s indeed very important!

what’s a reproducible test scenario ? I should have graduated the 2nd grade like me grand pappy did lol

I think the only way to test it out is to have a login on the Modx side and with the SMF mod go back n forth from the login on modx and login on smf, you’ll see when you go to page to page on the modx side how the welcome visitor changes and/or has incorrectly login/logout info. it may also have to do with cookies not sure, even when deleted it shows login, or SMF just isn’t playing nicely with modx, sometimes you can be login on modx side but logout on the smf side.
              • I’m confused is this an issue with regular login or with SMF bridge? This last post indicates SMF bridge, which is not mentioned anywhere else...let’s not confuse the issues please.
                  • 356 Posts
                  SMF Bridge is what I’m refering to, but I don’t really see the MODX login and SMF bridge as being so different

I’d say there’s 2 issues, one with the bridge and one with the modx login working with the bridge

I think even if I wasn’t using the SMF bridge, there would still be similiar issues,  I’ve disabled plugin many times and still found same issues as far as incorrect login/logout,  is the weblogin snippet that controls most of what we see ?

ie welcome visitor / login / logout

or is it the cookies that’s handling this, either or there’s some werid stuff happening.

I believe the SMF login is fine, its just the modx / SMF bridge that has the weridness

Recent Test:

disabled SMF connector
                  cleared cache, cookes
                  logged in
                  browse pages

notice when going from login page to doc id =1 the welcome user gets replaced with welcome visitor / login
                  then when I click on more pages sometimes you see welcome user/logout while other pages it shows welcome visitor/login

doesn’t make sense that some pages would show correct while others show incorrect

this --> welcome user - logout should be the only thing user see on all pages as long as user is logged in
                    • 788 Posts
                    perhaps this issue has to do with cached and uncached pages. try setting all your pages to uncached and then try to navigate around... I had this issue before and I want to say having pages cached was the cause...
                      xforum
                      http://frsbuilders.net (under construction) forum for evolution
                    • Quote from: breezer at Jul 22, 2006, 10:34 AM

perhaps this issue has to do with cached and uncached pages. try setting all your pages to uncached and then try to navigate around... I had this issue before and I want to say having pages cached was the cause...

Yeah, kind of hard to display dynamic user info on cached pages... lol