We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    Hello everybody,

i ve searched in the documents but couldn ’t find out. how can i create menus like "Big John’s deluxe menus" ?
    i think i am missing something, because in features page it says that "Whether you want something simple as a bulleted list for a sidebar or as complex as Big John’s deluxe menus complete with CSS "hover zones", MODx has you covered."

i ve used several DropMenu with diffrent configration parameters, but the only thing that i got is bulleted lists.

could anyone give me some advice on how can i make menus like "Big John’s deluxe menus" ?

Thanks...
    • John’s menus are bulleted lists as well, with CSS applied to them.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 5 Posts
        thanks for your reply.

yes, you right but it looks like the CSS depends on the level of the menu, so it must be created dynamicaly i guess.

or is there a fixed css , and DropMenu conf parameters that i can apply?
        • I’ve not done that particular menu exactly, but I’ve done others with John that use DropMenu. DropMenu’s replacement will make this MUCH more easy to pull off by the way, with templates and classes galore, and a sane set of default parameters.
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 5 Posts
            Ok thanks. When do you think the replacement for DropMenu will be available for our use?
            • In the very very near future. A beta of it will be posted here in fact.
                • 177 Posts
                I’m not farmiliare with this John’s menu deal, but I can attest to the fact that as it stands drop menu is pretty much capable of anything you’d need a menu to do before needing Javascript.

I made an addition to the Dropmenu so I could add spans within the <a> tags and use the long title as a an extra roll over

http://www.excitedaboutgod.com the site is in the early development stages at the moment, so please bear with it’s appearence

I also added some poor logic so it will add the parent class to the class="" attribute of any <a> that is a document folder, it doesn’t check to see if it’s empty, but I’ve only just started using modx so gimmie a break. smiley

in short I guess what I’m trying to say is if you can think it modx can help... alot
                • Wayfinder will make what you did seventhapex a LOT easier. Each type of row will have an associated template chunk that can be assigned to it. Rather than wax on about it, here’s a teaser from the code:

<?php
                  $wf->showPublishedOnly = isset($showPublishedOnly)? $showPublishedOnly: 1;
                  $wf->ignoreHidden = isset($ignoreHidden)? $ignoreHidden: 0;
                  $wf->hideSubMenus = isset($hideSubMenus)? $hideSubMenus: 0;
                  isset($removeNewLines)? $wf->ie = '': $wf->ie = "\n";
                  //get user class definitions
                  $wf->css['first'] = isset($firstClass)? $firstClass: 'first';
                  $wf->css['last'] = isset($lastClass)? $lastClass: 'last';
                  $wf->css['here'] = isset($hereClass)? $hereClass: 'active';
                  $wf->css['parent'] = isset($parentClass)? $parentClass: 'parent';
                  $wf->css['row'] = isset($rowClass)? $rowClass: '';
                  $wf->css['outer'] = isset($outerClass)? $outerClass: '';
                  $wf->css['inner'] = isset($innerClass)? $innerClass: '';
                  $wf->css['level'] = isset($levelClass)? $levelClass: '';
                  //get fields to output
                  $wf->textOfLinks = (isset($textOfLinks)) ? $textOfLinks : 'menutitle';
                  $wf->titleOfLinks = (isset($titleOfLinks)) ? $titleOfLinks : 'pagetitle';
                  //get user templates
                  $wf->templates['outerTpl'] = isset($outerTpl) ? $outerTpl : '';
                  $wf->templates['rowTpl'] = isset($rowTpl) ? $rowTpl : '';
                  $wf->templates['parentRowTpl'] = isset($parentRowTpl) ? $parentRowTpl : '';
                  $wf->templates['hereTpl'] = isset($hereTpl) ? $hereTpl : '';
                  $wf->templates['innerTpl'] = isset($innerTpl) ? $innerTpl : '';
                  $wf->templates['innerRowTpl'] = isset($innerRowTpl) ? $innerRowTpl : '';
                  $wf->templates['innerHereTpl'] = isset($innerHereTpl) ? $innerHereTpl : '';
                  ?>
                    • 177 Posts
                    wax on my friend wax on, I’m not a phpguru, so and waxing would be appriciated o wise and sagelike founder... smiley