We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 225 Posts
    Bonjour - J’ai besoin de l’opinion de quelqu’un de la France, et je pense que je trouve les experts ici. Je suis desole, mon français est tres mal, c’est pourquoi j’écris en anglais.

I’m doing a website for a friend living in France now. She is offering sessions and course in different alternative therapeutic methods.

One of the sections of her page will be a blog. We did discuss how to call that section. In her opinion, the term blog or weblog has an image of something teenagers are doing. So she would like to name that section ’actuel’.

I’m not sure that ’blog’ or ’weblog’ are indicating teenie stuff.

Can I get your opinions and impressions about this? Does ’blog’ or ’weblog’ really have that teenie touch in France?

Merci beaucoup!
      René
      • 7,075 Posts
      Hi smiley

No really neither blog nor weblog have a teenie connotation... lots of entrepreneur and professionnals have a blog which are explicitely referred to as a "blog". Weblog is less used. It doesn’t bring more than "blog" to the table...

"Actuel" is not something we use. If you avoid using blog then you can use "actualités" which means "news". This will be accurate if you publish short blog posts, but if you publish longer post - more like articles - then it will be misleading...

My two cents smiley
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 225 Posts
        Merci David pour les deux centimes ... smiley

Actually it confirms my impression that ’blog’ is also used in France in professional contexts.

Interesting what you brought up about the differences between ’actuel’ and ’actualités’. I recently made a bilingual page in German/French, for someone who is a native speaker of (Swiss) French, and she was using ’actuel’ (not for a blog however, but for news). Maybe it’s because it’s Swiss French? I mean, in Swiss German we are also using terms that for the Germans are a bit awkward or even lets them roll on the floor.
          René
          • 7,075 Posts
          Probably swiss french, never came accross this use of the word in a french website...
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id