We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7 Posts
    can anyone help me with this. i’ve followed the documentation to the letter, as far as i can tell, but i can’t get it working and it’s doing my head in! >:(

what i want to do is allow a set group of people "content authors" to edit the content of documents on a site but only allow the siteadmin access to the manager section - and of course everyone else should be able to see the pages, but not edit the content. so:

• i’ve set up a web user group called "content authors"
    • i’ve set up a document group called "content documents"
    • in user/document group links, i now have two groups "content authors" and "guests". i assign "content documents" to the "content authors" group
    • i’ve set up a login page using the [[weblogin]] snippet to allow the "content authors" to login.

now when i [as admin] create or edit my documents [in the manager] i’m offered two choices [under the ’page settings’ tab] for each document’s permissions:

[ ] all document groups [public]
    [ ] content documents

if i set the permissions to "all document groups" then, when one of the ’content author’ web users logs in, there is no quickedit bar to allow them to edit the document - although the document is visible to ’guest’ visitors to the site.

if i set the permissions to "content documents" then, when one of the ’content author’ web users logs in, there is no quickedit bar to allow them to edit the document. and also the document in question is no longer visible to guest’ visitors to the site.

where am i going wrong? - how do i set permissions on a document so everyone can view it but only a logged in webuser of the correct "content authors" group can edit it? huh

• 4,213 Posts
      QuickEdit only works for back end (manager) users, not web users.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
        • 7 Posts
        ah! - i see. thanks!

so how does a web user edit page content then? huh
          • 4,213 Posts
          Quote from: madra at Jul 11, 2006, 05:38 PM

so how does a web user edit page content then? huh
          Maybe you could setup something with this:
          [snippets] NewsManager and NewsEditer and NewsTickerTV

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."