We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    I can’t seem to get the ’Browse Server’ button to show up when trying to create a blog entry. It works fine in both the manager and quickedit, but that doesn’t help me because in the end I won’t be the one blogging information.

What I am trying to accomplish is an easy way for anyone to upload images for a corresponding blog post to accompany it for whatever reason, and I’m having no luck. I would like to add that I am pretty much an amateur when it comes to real coding work, so that’s why I’m trying to get some help here instead of doing something on my own. So any help will be much appreciated.

If it is needed I am using v2.2b of FCKEditor and v9.2.1 of MODx
      • 1,131 Posts
      The reason why the ’Browse Server’ button doesn’t appear on the front-end is because the FCKEditor checks to see if the "Enable Resource Browser" option is set to Yes in the manager configuration. When FCKEditor is being used on the front-end as a template variable, this check always ends up being false because it only applies to the use of FCKEditor within the manager. I can add in the ability to use the Resource Browser on the front-end...but be forewarned; doing so would put anything in the images, files, and other related folders in the assets directory at risk. The problem is that the Resource Browser was originally designed to be used within the manager only. Till we can replace the Resource Browser with a better alternative, there will be some limitations to what we can and cannot do safely without risk of having some hapless use mistakenly deleting images from the assets directory.

I’ll see what I can do though. I’ll be going back and exploring all the options for redoing the Resource Browser. But for now, I still have a ways to go on a few other pressing tasks. Hopefully, I can get back to this real soon. In the meantime though, I’ll try and find a quick fix to getting the Resource Browser working for front-end use. smiley
        Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
        • 4,213 Posts
        Instructions how to get the resource browser working at frontend can be found here:
        Re: Newsspublisher with image
        . But like Jeff said, it’s not a good idea if the RTE is in public usage..

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
          • 2 Posts
          Thanks guys, I just needed something to get the job done while I figure out a better way to handle the image uploading for the people using this site.

However I wasn’t aware of what a potential security risk it could be, but understand why and how, so I’ll be sure to keep a close eye on it while I roll out new changes to the site.