We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    if not, do you know of any other cms that will?

ive been researching for weeks now, nothing
      • 4,213 Posts
      You can make and manage polls with this polls module.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
        • 5 Posts
        ok, looks great. but can you tell me if it allows users to add polls to EACH ARTICLE?

alot of poll modules just allow me to add a poll to the front page of my site.

I want users to be able to make there own polls, for EVERY article they submit.
          • 4,213 Posts
          Quote from: woahdolla at Jun 10, 2006, 06:20 PM

alot of poll modules just allow me to add a poll to the front page of my site.
          There is no such restrictions in Modx that you may find in other cms’es and their modules. Pretty much any content can be anywhere in different forms and same content multiple times in separate documents etc...

I haven’t tried this polls module my self yet, but here’s how it works: Users can create polls through the module and every poll gets its own ID. Then users can get the poll to appear in the pages by using one of the snippets that comes with the module. Check the "Example Snippet Usage" section in the thread I linked above. It depends what kind of content managers you have on your site and what kind of interface you want to build to the polling system, but you could use TV’s for the selection of polls in the documents for example.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
          • Hi woahdolla,

Doze has summed up my module pretty well smiley If you wanted front-end management of polls then it’s quite possible to convert the module to a front-end snippet.

I suppose it depends what you mean by a poll, whether you wanted different questions depending on the content of the article etc.

If you let me know some further info, I may consider further developing the Polls module (it’s in need of an update wink )

Cheers, Garry
              Garry Nutting
              Senior Developer
              MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
              Twitter: @garryn
              Web: modx.com
              • 5 Posts
              yesir.. ok, let me give in detail what im trying to accomplish..

I want any user that has connection to the net, be able to come to my site, sign up, and submit a article/poll. There will be many different categories and subcategories of these articles. So lets say one user logs in and makes a poll on basketball, another on politicians etc etc... All that will go in their specific category selected by the user, and I can of course approve or deny any submissions.

I’d like users to be able to do this without installing any software themselves, and I would like for them to be able to upload pics / videos (if modx allows this) to the articles...

If you could get back with me on this it’d be appreciated.
                • 4,213 Posts
                All this is possible, but not in a "plug and play" way..

User registration and allowing certain things only to logged in users is allready possible. Also it’s possible to allow these users to make blog post from frontend to some defined categories. You can also have the user submitted documents to come as unpublished by default so you can review them and publish afterwards.

You can also make it possible that users can upload file attachments to the articles, but you would possibly need to edit some allready made snippet to suit your needs better.

For the polls, you would need to do a frontend editing system to the creation of polls, but it wouldn’t be so hard to do, you can get most of the code from the module.

So all this can be done, and pretty easily I may add, but you will need to code some things by your self and php knowledge is a must (unless you get/pay someone to do this for you)..

• 5 Posts
                  hmmm! alright, great, thanks.. Sorry to seem slow so let me just make sure I understand...

It would be easy for someone to edit the code to allow registered users to EASILY (without installing any other software or copying / pasting code, simply clicking a "add poll" button) add polls (that will be tracked indivisually so duplicate users/IP’s cant vote on each poll) to each article and me approve or deny the article / poll submission?

If so, wonderful.

Where would you suggest going to get this done? rentacoder? I have no programming knowledge.

Thanks my friend you have been a big help.
                  • Modifying the Polls Module code to be applicable on a per-document basis would be ’relatively’ easy - as Doze stated, it’s not something that is out-of-the-box but I’m quite in favour of it smiley

Just to clarify though, in your proposed usage, there would be additional work involved to incorporate an article creation snippet - currently one of those doesn’t exist, but again is quite possible.

I, for one, quite like this as a development idea but would have to queue it in line with some of the other developments I’m working on. (donations to the MODx cause are always appreciated wink )
                      Garry Nutting
                      Senior Developer
                      MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
                      Twitter: @garryn
                      Web: modx.com
                      • 4,213 Posts
                      Quote from: woahdolla at Jun 10, 2006, 10:28 PM

Where would you suggest going to get this done? rentacoder? I have no programming knowledge.
                      Yea, this requires some work, but building this setup from the polls module and newspublisher snippet should be relatively easy. If you are willing to pay for this, I would suggest that you do detailed request what you want to be built here on the forums. i.e will you be doing the template and site structure yourself and need someone to just code and setup the registration,article/poll submission/approving -system, or do you want someone to build the whole site for you (and in that case more information about the project etc)..

And users that are willing to do this can contact you by PM or something and give an estimate how much would it cost and how long it would take to do it.. There are lot’s of people around this community that do this for work and I’m sure you can get someone to do it for you quite quickly. I don’t have time to do it myself for now, but just post your requests here and we’ll see what happens! smiley